[Saab_c900] When was APC introduced in the Saab 900's?

Hi everyone,

Here in Sydney (Australia) the local service station has, as of this week, stopped selling lead-replacment petrol (aka LRP) and it's being phased out by most oil companies in Australia over the next 12 months.

BP, who supplies the service station I prefer to use, is now selling it's newly-concocted 98 octane 'BP Ultimate' unleaded fuel out of the former LRP pump. Since it's 'unleaded' it looks like I will need to start using unleaded fuel additives in my two Saab 900's with B201 engines (1983 and

1985 builds). I know a few people who run older cars (not Saab's) on ULP and use additives for valve protection.

I know that the 1980's where pretty much the transition period, at least here in Australia, when cars changed from running on leaded fuels to 'unleaded' fuels. When exactly did Saab start supplying 900's with APC, and how do I tell if my two 900's have it? My 1985 900 has the later version of the B201 block with the starter motor under the intake manifold instead of under the exhaust manifold (my 1983 900 has the older style).

If my 1983 900 has APC, it should run on higher-octane unleaded fuel without a problem. LRP is 95 octane here in Australia, and standard unleaded is around 93. Most of the newer high-tech fuel mixtures are 97 or higher.

What do others think? If the cars do have APC, are there any other things which can be affected apart from the valves by running B201 engines on unleaded fuels?

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's C900 Workshop

Why? Why do the valves need protection? The alloy heads have steel valve seats.

I run all of my 900s on 95 octane unleaded. I occasionally use 98 octane on one of them (my fun T16).

Your valves won't be affected. The only cars you might get a slight problem on are the 8v turbos. All the 16v turbos will be fine (APC). All the non turbos will also be fine.

Reply to
Grunff

Craig, AFAIR APC (Automatic Performance Control) is only a function for controlling turbo boost pressure. I believe that all turbos had an APC of one form or another.

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Correct, allowing max boost right up to the point where it starts knocking.

8v 900Ts don't.
Reply to
Grunff

I didn't know for sure. So it was a fixed pressure wastegate then (along with the non-cooled turbo)? No wonder they had relatively higher turbo failures back then, or so I have heard...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

Yup.

They were a hell of a lot better than other turbos of the day, but they did tend to get through head gaskets more frequently than NA cars.

Reply to
Grunff

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on

23/06/2004 13:59:

Yes they do!

APC was introduced in 1982. Since the 16 valve was not released until 1984, what did they put it on for two years? I doubt the GL/GLE would've made much use of it :)

APC box number 9353657 (14 pin) was fitted to the 1982 T8 (140 BHP), 7567704 (25 pin) to the 145 BHP T8s and 7524119 to the 155 BHP T8/Tii (Intercooled model). Both my T8s have been the Tii model with the 7524119 box.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Halliday

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on

23/06/2004 16:15:

Perhaps the lack of factory fitted pressure relief valve was the problem. When fitted with a dump valve, the T8 does seem to go on without much problem ... Until the boost is upped at wastegate and/or APC box and the gearbox breaks! :) :(

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

AFAIK most 99 and all 900 can run on unleaded fuel as they have alloy heads and hardened valve seats. This has little or nothing to do with octane ratings.

I thought only H engines had APC, but if you have a solenoid valve on the top edge of the radiator, with vacuum hoses going to the waste gate, the pressure side of the turbo and the air intake before the turbo, then you have APC - and of course when there's a guage in the instrument cluster, saying APC......

-------- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '87 900T8

Reply to
MH

yes they do...

------ MH '87 900T8 - with APC

'72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96

Reply to
MH

Reply to
Grunff

So I gather. I'm going to be looking out for that from now on.

Reply to
Grunff

The Saab race series cars were 8v APC ISTR, the first range of "Hot" red APCs were for the 8v's I've heard, and used a single board inside like the early 16v ones.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , c900 @lios.apana.org.au spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

If you can afford ultimate, instead of Premium, use it, but other wise, use normal premium (I'm assuming 95RON/91PON (US standard)).

Fuel's pricey here in the UK ATM, so mine has run normal 95RON premium unleaded fine, in my 1984 registered APC'd T16S.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

"Grunff" skrev i en meddelelse news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Most of the 8v turbos DO have APC.

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I KNOW! You're the third person to tell me, but thanks, I appreciate it anyway.

I still think it's really weird that of all the 8vTs I've looked closely at, not one had APC...

Reply to
Grunff

in article snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo at snipped-for-privacy@bouncing-czechs.com wrote on 24/06/2004 19:35:

That'll be the 14 pin box number 9353657.

Reply to
Paul Halliday
82 -> have APC. It started in mid year '82, I believe. Before that, it was a normal wastegate. My 84 8V had APC.

Keith

Fred W. wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

Now that /is/ odd. I have a friend with an 84 8vT without APC. Maybe it was an option?

Reply to
Grunff

in article snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on

25/06/2004 12:43:

What does his dash boost gauge say? "turbo/APC" is written under mine - does he just have "turbo", or is it gaugeless? How is the wastegate actuated? Does it have a pipe from the turbo to the gate, or is it one of the older "charge pressure regulator" external wastegates, like the B engines?

This is a puzzle ...

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday