(Subaru) Now, this is an interesting page...

I have two Subys, an '89 Coupe and a '97 Wagon. The '89 has the 1800 and the '97 has the 2.2 SOHC engine. I was looking for information on replacing the headgaskets (BOTH have BHGs...) and ran across this at AutoZone:

It shows them yanking the heads on both engines without removing the engine from the car. Now, I don't know what models these are, but this sure makes the job look pretty easy!

Also, on the 2.2 motor, notice that the head bolts are not covered by the valve covers! This is real interesting. However, i think for ease of removing the heads, it would make more sense to remove the covers to gain some additional room...

Looks like this might be easier than I expected...so why are people charging $1000-1200?!?!?!

Reply to
Hachiroku

"Hachiroku ...

Because they can?

What really prompted me to hit the reply button was the BHG. What is a BHG? (My mind is tell ing me big honker G-striing, but somehow I don't believe that this is so...) Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Du-u-u-u-u-de!

Big Hearted Girls!

er, Blown Head Gaskets...

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL yeah. I figured it out when I read the other threads. I have my reader set so the most recent posts are at the top. I think I will try flipping that around so I see first what I would have missed . Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

B lown H ead G asket.

Reply to
BuckerooBilly

My neighbor did gaskets on a 1.8 Subie wagon with the motor in. He took his time and spent a week to work on it but it really didn't look all that bad.

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

Right at the top of the page: "On some models, engine compartment room is limited, so it may be necessary to remove the engine to service the cylinder heads."

I have an 02 Legacy, and there's no way those heads are coming off without the motor coming out (or a sawzall to the fenders.)

Ray

Reply to
Ray

All head gaskets at work are done in-car; several tricks make it easier. BUT they are done from the bottom. IF I were to do a head gasket at home (or a clutch) I would pull the engine. That is not so hard as you would think. It also lets you access the back and reseal the entire engine, something thats good to do on subarus.

Reply to
StephenW

Thanks, Steve!

Yeah...the reason I was quoted $1200 was because of the list the tech gave me for things that should be done with the headgasket.

Um, however...one car is an '89 in OK shape, and the other is a '97 with

335,000 on the chassis! I'm not expecting these cars to do much over 50,000 miles more each.
Reply to
Hachiroku

Maybe you can find even more help here, from the factory manuals:

larry moe 'n curly

Thanks, but it don't work... :(

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hmmmm....it didn't work in Windows, but it is downloading just fine in Linux...Hmmmm....

Reply to
Hachiroku

um..because the vehicle has to still run after they're finished with it?

Reply to
Paul Knudsen

Yeah, that would be a GOOD thing!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Don't you mean "When..."? ;)

Reply to
Fred Boer

When my wife's Beretta borked the trans, we pulled the engine/trans as a combo. Didn't seem that much harder, and allowed me to do the timing chain, oil pan gaskets, etc... as kind of a PM type of work.

If my Legacy ever needs head gaskets, I'd pull the engine as well so I could do the same stuff - it's way easier and cleaner on the stand than in the car.

Ray

Reply to
Ray

Seems to be that way. Two Subarus w approx 130,000 miles, both need head gaskets...

Hmmm....

Reply to
Hachiroku

..and in my case (as I never tire of whining about!) 2 BHG on the *same* car with only 160,000 km!

Reply to
Fred Boer

That's 100,000 miles...hmmm...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Was able to download & open but it requires a password to use does anyone know or has anyone else run in to this ( the pdftown.com Link) Glenn K

Reply to
Glenn Klein