04 subaru new noise

After getting back from the ski hill today, i heard a new high pitch whining sound comming from the 'baru. Popped the hood and it sounded like, maybe the front driverside area. Possibly around the radiator? Anythoughts anybody?

Reply to
04 Subaru XT Owner

coincidentally enough we have the same high pitched sound coming from our Forester (also an 04). Haven't gotten it diagnosed yet, but was waiting to have the dealership look at it. Just letting you know you're not alone. Ideas anyone?

Mikey

Reply to
TigerFan84

Perhaps a friendly mechanic with a stethoscope could poke around and help pinpoint the most likely source of the noise? (-;

~Brian

Reply to
Brian

Hmmm....I've read of a buzzing sound from ABS pumps. Dunno where they are on 04s. But you don't say if the noise is external of the engine or ???

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

ABS pumps aren't running unless the ABS is engaged.

High pitch whine (like a hyrdolic pump under load) was belts on mine. The belt that runs the alternator was a bit worn and not right.

It can also be the alternator itself.

Does the noise go away >> After getting back from the ski hill today, i heard a new high pitch

Reply to
.._..

As I recall, there was a stuck relay or some other issue on some soobs that made it buzz. Might have been a TSB or reacll too. But I think they were models years older than the 04 in question.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

fuel pump makes a whine at 65-70

Reply to
bigjimpack

Just got the word from the dealership today. Turns out it's the "keyless buzzer" - the thing that makes the chirping noise when you use the fob to lock/unlock the doors. Moisture got into it and it needs to be replaced. $99 - I told them not to worry about it and just disconnect it since we don't use it anyway.

just thought you guys should know.

Mikey

Reply to
TigerFan84