2002 Subaru Outback

We purchased a 2002 Outback from a Toyota dealer. They put a new radiator and windshield in it and gave us a warrantee for 90 days that they'd do any repairs at cost. After they fixed the transmission leak, the drivers wheel came off 3 days later when my son was getting off the expressway. They repaired the vehicle, but as insurance we had it looked at by Subaru since my son was going off to school in Laramie, Wyoming,

1000 miles away.

The Subaru dealer found the car in decent shape save for a bad transmission and a bad repair by the Toyota dealer of the steering knuckle(another story). All in all a $7000 repair and we felt good as the car was sparkling.

On the way to Laramie, Wy. as my son put it, "puked the engine" with a hole in the top where you could see a rod. This was the boxer with a manual trans. When he was going down a hill the check engine light came on, so he stopped and checked. The oil was a bit low so he added some, but couldn't find anything else wrong and the light went off. Then some time later it just quit as they were going along. Upon opening the hood, he found this whole with the piece of engine next to it on top. The CV boot on that side was torn(Subaru says something cut it! Duh!).

So, we have a dead outback sitting in Laramie after a 200 mile tow.

Reply to
Thomas Bates

Ouch!

Wonder why the radiator and windshield was replaced?

-- Message posted using

information at

johninKY

whoa! That's a horrible auto experience!

I wonder if this engine had been overheated since there was a radiator replacemnt. I also wonder if it was due for a timing belt service? KInda strange the CEL would go off after one stop too. Dunno about that.

sorry to hear such a tragic tale. (you may need to contact CCR for a short block!

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

To be safe, I had the TB replaced when they did the water pump/radiator. However, your suggestion that it could have overheated is a good one, but I still can't think that alone would cause this. More, I think it's a bad CR.

Reply to
Thomas Bates