Subaru service

Does Subaru also stress the importance of using its own brand of coolant and other fluids, including oil filter, as Honda does?
I am soon switching from Honda to Subaru.
On 4/22/2019 1:44 PM, cameo wrote:

They do but I've not seen a vehicle in decades where the maker didn't push their own products. Rest assured that, although Subaru does push their own stuff, they also give full specs for outside products.
Come to think of it, maybe that doesn't apply to the CVT fluid but that isn't something that is changed often. I have heard that the service on the CVT (60k miles?) on the 6-cylinder uses gallons of the stuff and that it is pretty pricey.
If you go to a Subaru dealership for service, of course they are going to use genuine Subaru supplies. If they are using off-brand aftermarket parts and supplies, that's a big problem.
My 2005 WRX is out of warranty but I still use some Subaru items like the special filter for the Subaru Performance Tuning Cold Air Intake Kit and the green Subaru Long Life Coolant.
In some 2008 and all 2009 models Subaru changed the coolant to blue Subaru Super Coolant (11 year life). The two coolants -- green and blue -- are not to be mixed. You might have difficulty finding the right coolant for your car at your local aftermarket car parts store.
On 2019-04-22 17:44:55 +0000, cameo said:

On 4/22/2019 2:11 PM, Ben Jammin wrote:

I wasn't thinking using off-brand products because I learned the hard way with my Honda Accord that the price difference isn't worth it. Using non-Honda coolant, for instance, costed me a heater core and radiator that corroded from the wrong fluid. Now, even though I have my car serviced at a trusted independent shop, I buy the needed fluids or parts at a Honda parts store for the mechanic to use. I even buy the motor oil brand Honda dealers use (Castrol) because my shop does not carry it. They don't mind passing up the usual markups on the parts they provide. Not many shops will do that.
On 2019-04-22 23:47:31 +0000, cameo said:

I do the same thing: I search for a good price on OEM Subaru air filters onliine and buy a couple. I keep one in the trunk of the WRX and when the service shop says it is time for a new filter I say "It is in the boot".
My independent shop uses Castrol lubricants as well.
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 10:43:19 AM UTC-7, cameo wrote:

Depending on the age of the vehicle try to stick with Subaru stuff.
If its a much older car, say 1990s model, early 2000, you may use various brands or generic fluids that meet specs, but more recent cars its better to use Subaru branded stuff ...as newer cars seem more sensitive to Subaru specific fluids.
The SUBARU ATF-HP for example is far superior to a Valvoline ATF fluid specifying suitability for Subaru-HP, in a my 2013 Forester XT. In my 2000 Impreza there is no noticable difference in gear shifting smoothness between the two, but in the Forester the difference is big.
The Subaru oil filter is much preferable also. Its tested for proper flow, and has correct bypass valve setting (23 psi). If you look at some filters that people use for their Subarus, the oil inlet holes are smallish, example some Purolator oil filters specified for Subaru. I am sure that given certain conditions, say at startup or very high rpms there has to be a difference in flow.
The Subaru green coolant for older cars is supposedly also formulated to have more anti-corrossion properties then regular green coolants. I don't use it, I use regular green Preston, or Zerex, or Peak, but change these every two years. The headgasket problems in boxer engines are frequently blamed on coolant seeping under gravity into vertically positioned head gaskets and corroding them.
Subarus cars are a bit different tahn other cars and its good to stick to Subaru branded stuff. Subaru fluids are mostly made by Idemitsu so if you check carefully you can buy this brand and it will probably be the same. Beck Arnley brand also sells some fluids that are exactly the same.
Basia
On 4/22/2019 4:06 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I agree with everything, you write here as they also apply to Honda cars. Must be a Japanese thing, I guess. As to oil filters though, I discovered that filters made by Wyx are interchangeable with Honda OEM filters. I think both are made by Wyx for the US market.
On Monday, April 22, 2019 at 4:56:13 PM UTC-7, cameo wrote:

Napa series *7712 oil filters are also made by Wix and specified for Subaru, they have proper 23psi bypass valve opening pressure, and large inlet holes.
Wix numbers are 57712, and 57712XP for extended performance filter. NAPA sells equivalents made by same company Wix. The Napa number is 47712 for the Platinum line of filters, and 7712 for the Gold line. Platinum is the best.
These are nice filters and I like them, but tighten them well as some people report the flat gasket can leak if not well tightened. Subaru OEM filters have a round shaped gasket that flattens under pressure and seems to seal a bit easier. All minor differences.
These Wix/Napa filters are very good, have better construction and filter media inside. NAPA had the Platinum line on sale last week. I bought a couple for $4.99 a piece.
Basia
On 4/22/2019 5:26 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Thanks for the tip, Basia. (Nice Polish nickname, ;-)
On Tuesday, April 23, 2019 at 4:45:39 PM UTC-7, cameo wrote:

Your very welcome, I am actually Polish. I was raised both in Poland and in the US., in Chicago, ...going back and forth between the two countries in my youth. 15 and a half years total spent in Poland.
Basia
On 4/24/2019 1:05 AM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I ja jestem Węgrem. Sto lat!
On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 4:57:58 PM UTC-7, cameo wrote:

oolant

EM

Polak Wegier- dwa bratanki. :))
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pole_and_Hungarian_brothers_be
On 4/24/2019 10:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

I've run into couldn't care less beyond driving them.
On Thursday, April 25, 2019 at 12:18:12 AM UTC-7, cameo wrote:

coolant

OEM

Subarus are special, for me at least.
I knew a lady in Poland that had a 60s Beetle and she could rebuild the engine all by herself! I just do regular maintenance, haven't done anything beyond adjusting the valve lash on my 2000 Impreza L Coupe.
Basia
On 4/25/2019 11:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Adjusting the valve lash? That's still more than I've done on any of my cars. I've only done that during my college years on my motorcycle. So congrats, Basia!
On 4/22/19 7:57 PM, cameo wrote:

Yeah, I've been driving Japanese cars for over 30 years, I stick to buying OEM maintenance items- the price difference compared to aftermarket stuff being insignificant in light of the cost of cars these days and how little the filters and fluids cost over the life of the car.
Only item I refuse to pop for are the absurdly-priced OEM cabin filters- not to mention the dealer rip-off labor charge to swap it out behind the glove box door if you let them install it.
I get a $10 Fram or comparable at Walmart. It takes me about 60 seconds to install it- not counting the time to remove/reload all the junk that has accumulated in the glove box. I do find some interesting stuff in there though on clean out and can usually toss about a third of what was in there.
--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen” victim tragedy
stories in the news?
On 4/24/2019 1:39 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

My Accord does not have a cabin filter. Soon after I posted the prior message, I had an interesting issue with my car which then was fixed on the spot by an old mechanic's trick. I was leaving a restaurant late night but my car would not start. The starter would not even make a noise, even though the lights on my car were pretty bright. A guy from the restaurant gave me a jump start to no avail. So I called a AAA tow truck to get the car to the nearby Honda dealership. The tow truck driver tried to start the car too, but it was the same with him. Then some spark lit up in his head and he tried that mechanic's trick: tapping lightly on the starter with a metal rod. That did it! I was then able to start the car and drive home without any further problems. Though the issue has not manifested itself since then, but I now carry an older tire changing iron under my seat, just in case.
With hindsight I should have thought about this trick myself, because several years ago that's how I nudged my alternator to resume charging. In that case the graphite brushes were too worn and the springs could not push them hard enough to the commutator to make a good contact. I suspect that's what my starter is facing now. Time to replace it after almost 350K miles.
On 4/24/19 8:20 PM, cameo wrote:

Many years ago I was on a business trip flying on an old North Central Convair 580- a two engine prop plane- making several puddle jumper stops across the midwest. At one stop, the right engine would not restart and the maintenance guys came out with big step ladders and climbed up on the engine, pulling the covers off exposing its innards. They worked on the thing for a good 20 minutes- trying this and that and hooking up hoses and wires to it- but to no avail.
The lead mechanic went into the cockpit and shortly afterwards, he and the pilot came out and announced we would have to deplane to wait for a replacement aircraft to arrive as this one was disabled.
My seat mate stood up and said "Just hit the starter with a wrench". The pilot smiled, thanked him for the suggestion and said the five highly skilled mechanics working on it had determined it needed major maintenance.
Still standing, my seatmate said “My name is Emil P******* and I’m the Vice President of Engineering of the company that made that starter. Now just smack the sumbitch with a big wrench.”
Still smiling, the lead mechanic yelled out to one of his guys still up on the engine and he proceeded to give the starter a good whack- after which the engine started right up.
True story!!
--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen” victim tragedy
stories in the news?
On 4/25/2019 6:03 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

Some things are universal. ;-)
On 4/25/19 2:10 PM, cameo wrote:

I elected to deplane however, and rented a car to continue the trip. What went through my mind was that if for some reason that engine quit in flight, the pilot may not have been able to restart it. I'm sure an engine quitting is a real long shot- but I've always been a timid flyer and it was only about 100 miles to my destination.
--
Nigerian authorities found a man dead in his apartment along with 16
billion dollars stored there. Apparently he had been trying to give it

Site Timeline