Subaru Service Program WWP-99

I own a 2001 Forester and got a "customer satisfaction" (ie - recall?) letter from Subaru of America yesterday. This letter recommends "as a precautionary measure" that "a special conditioner be added to the engine cooling system of certain 1999 through 2002 model year Subaru vehicles equipped with 2.5 liter engines". It goes on to say that this recommendation is made "to prevent a possible external coolant leak at your vehicle's engine cylinder head gaskets".

It recommends having this Subaru Cooling System Conditioner added as soon as possible (at a Subaru dealership, of course), at no cost (this time). It then says that, "In the future, it will be necessary to add Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner to your vehicle's cooling system whenever the engine coolant is replaced".

Has anyone else gotten this letter? Are the head gaskets really at risk without this treatment and, if so, shouldn't Subaru be recalling and replacing an engine part rather than requiring owner's to take an extra step when replacing coolant? I mean -- other cars don't require this added step, so is there an inherent problem with the Subaru that they are trying to address on the cheap?

I'm no mechanic, but I never heard of something like this.....

Bert

Reply to
BRH

I'm not a mechanic either, and I haven't (yet) received the recall notice for my 2002 Outback, but the answers to your questions are "yes," it's a cheap fix, and "yes" they should be (but aren't) fixing the problem by replacing the affected gaskets. The problem for Subaru is that replacing the gaskets is expensive, and they only need to make sure that the gaskets last until the car is out of warranty. If Subaru was interested in fixing it right, they'd replace the gaskets. As it is, over 100k miles, you're on your own.

I am going to watch to see if mine are leaking or begin to leak, and if they do, I'm not going to settle for a "conditioner" as the resolution. Local dealer told me that Subaru has instructed them to STOP replacing head gaskets under warranty, and instead put the "conditioner" into the cooling system and watch to see what happens. Sounds like a cheap band-aid fix to me.

JKG

Reply to
Jonathan Goodish

definitely not a recall. TG

"BRH @comcast.net>"

Reply to
TG

What if it leaks into a combustion chamber or somewhere else where there is no visible sign? TG

Reply to
TG

Had mine inspected three weeks ago and it is seeping on one side. Just a little. The service rep said that the conditioner should stop the seepage but to keep an eye on it. He called me at work the next day and said he had seen three like mine and that if there was anymore seepage that I spotted, to bring it in and they would do both sides. I feel like I'm playing with something that should be done. 58K on a 2K OB. He said they were extending out the warranttee to 100K, but I doubt mine will make it that far.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Lofgren

What's the warranty on something like that normally? 60K?

Jim Lofgren wrote:

Reply to
BRH

Was the same recall issued for the Japanese built engines in Imprezas?

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Thanks much to you all for alerting me to this issue: I am now removing the Impreza TS from my list of possible buys when I move to Minnesota in a few weeks. Not only do I find the problem unacceptable, I find SOA's attitude towards performing a proper fix to also be unaccptable. I will be getting either an Element or a Martix/Vibe. I have been hearing about the gasket issue for some time and it just blows me away that a proper fix at the materials and/or manufacturing level has not been instituted long ago.

Reply to
null_pointer

I think you'll find ust about every vehical with aluminum heads has head gasket issues.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

A proper fix has been insituted. Newer models do not have thismproblem, as different gaskets are now used. I think they started half way through the 02 model year.

Reply to
Alan

Had the head gaskets done on my '01 OBW at 41K miles in Dec '03. Just got the official recall letter. Adding a sealer is a cheap fix a used car dealer would pull, not something I'd expect from a manufacturer. But then again Cadillac specified a cooling system sealer for their engines a few years back.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I think you're right because mine is an '02 and the dealer told me I would not have this issue with mine.

June

Reply to
Diva

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I had the service preformed on my 2000 Forester and I am glad SOA is willing to do something about a relatively minor problem. Both Ford/GM and Chrysler have had serious head gasket problems (leaks between cylinders and leaks into the cooling system). If their cars got beyond the basic warranty it was we're sorry but you must pay. SOA on the other hand extended the warranty to

Reply to
Edward Hayes

As anyone who has owned a V6 4 Runner knows a similar situation happened with those, head gaskets were letting go, Toyota came out with an updated design and put them in all the trucks, they let go too, a 3rd design was put in and that aparently was a good one but I know some of them let go including mine and I had to pay for that one. Really the problem was with the expansion and contraction of the head in relation to the block and no gasket was going to be able to compensate. Toyota did extend the warranty or rather the miles the recall was good for I think but they would not replace a failure of the 3rd generation gasket regardless of miles since their company line was they fixed it so it ain't broke. In the end I think you have to look at these as a long interval maintence item like a timing belt because they just don't last forever.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Is there any way to find out exactly which vehicles are involved? I'm not so sure my name is tied to this vehicle with SOA...

-John O

Reply to
John O

Subaru rep told me that it wasn't a recall and probably never would be because it wasn't a safety issue. I could have been wrong for trusting his info and I will check it out. TG

Reply to
TG

Do you have a link to the Subaru website for this ?

Reply to
X-Eliminator

The official link is

,but I believe that will require you to pay a fee. The recall notice hasbeen posted, with discussion, at these sites:
Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Farmer

I have a 96 Outback 2.5L and looks like I'll be facing with this sooner or later. Will buying a car with IRON block and heads not having these problems? Who still make engine with iron block and heads?

-Steve

"BRH @comcast.net>" precautionary measure" that "a special conditioner be added to the

Reply to
Y.H. Shen