Phase II headgasket 'program'

from the dealership:

WWP-99 Service Campaign - Cooling System Conditioner

Subaru has determined that certain 1999 through 2002 model year 2.5L equipped Subaru vehicles may experience an external coolant leak from the cylinder head gaskets. This is the result of normal relative thermal expansion and contraction variations of engine parts. As a precautionary measure, SOA is recommending that a special conditioner be added to the engine cooling system to prevent leaks from occurring or to correct existing leaks.

Only early Phase II 2.5 liter engines are affected by this campaign. Phase I 2.5 liter engines (some 1999 model year and prior years) are not affected. Countermeasures applied to the manufacturing process for those

2002 and later VINS not affected by this campaign have eliminated the need for this campaign to be performed on those vehicles.

In the future, it will be necessary to add Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner to the SUBARU vehicle cooling system whenever the engine coolant is replaced. The updated recommended service procedure as well as intervals for coolant replacement will be added to all applicable service manuals. As a reminder, we will include an update page in the owner notification letters that should be added to the Owner?s Manual and Warranty and Maintenance Booklet. We ask you to keep in mind that replacement of fluids (including Subaru Cooling System Conditioner) during inspection and maintenance services are not covered under warranty.

If the vehicle owner has this Service Program repair performed promptly, Subaru will extend coverage under the Subaru Limited Warranty on the vehicle for cylinder head gasket external coolant leaks to a period of 8 years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Warranty coverage begins on the date the vehicle was delivered to the first retail purchaser. If the vehicle was used as a demonstrator or company vehicle before being sold at retail, warranty coverage begins on the date the vehicle was first placed in such service. As a further condition for this extended warranty coverage to apply, the vehicle owner must have Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner added to the vehicle at any subsequent cooling system services at the interval specified in the Warranty and Maintenance Booklet under the heading ?Schedule of Inspection and Maintenance Services?.

Dealers will automatically be sent an initial quantity of Genuine Subaru Cooling System Conditioner. Dealer bulletins and affected VIN lists will be mailed to dealers in early February 2004. Owner notification letters are scheduled for mailing in stages.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

[...]

Downey

And starting in 2003 what did they do to fix the problem?

Reply to
Ed Fortmiller

From a good source.

To replace the head gaskets when in warrantee Subaru pays 4 hours flat rate, usually takes a mechanic 3 hours. The mechanics hate it since they are not making much. If out of warrantee the flat rate is whopping 13 hours.

Cars which had head gaskets replaced 2 years ago are starting to come back in again with leaking head gaskets.

If a car now comes in for repair and the mechanic spots a leaking headgasket they have been told by Subaru to put in that new stop leak, customer does not get told.

Reply to
Ed Fortmiller

Interesting Ed; 4 hours vs. 13 hours?? that is very difficult to believe. You say a good source. If so I would need alittle more info to believe it. Share with us??? Also rotors are not a common problem except for some on this NG. No mention from owners reporting problems in unusually numbers. eddie

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Their "required" item is illegal for the warranty. Unless they provide the item, you cannot specify a product for a warranty. That is federal law since '80's. Hence Subaru cannot say you use our Subaru oil or do not get 60K powertrain. They can only specify qualifications of the product, e.g. aluminum radiators need specific abilities of antifreeze. If aftermarket product fulfills qualifications, you can use it. I just had pistons (loud cold slapping noise) and timing belt tensioner (dealer tried that first - got belt replaced for just cost) replaced... free. Even a loaner for 3 days at 52K. Never went back for dealer to check anything after buying car. I did everything myself. Also had trans problem, fixed free and got a free trans fulid change. The piston problems got me an oil and cooling fluid replacement free.

Special fluid with millons of cars not needing it... defect!

Reply to
M. Butkus

How loud does the piston slap have to be to get a replcement? My replacement short block is much noisier than the first one, and makes almost a weird scraping noise on top of the tapping, on cold starts. The power steering also makes a whine when cold that didn't go away after I drained and filled the reservoir three times with synthetic ATF. Cold is -18C in this case.

filmguy

'99 Outback with 2.5L and I didn't receive it either, and I know I'm on the mailing list. At 102k miles, it doesn't much matter to me. Maybe we don't have the 'certain' vehicles.

Reply to
Jim Stewart