Subaru To Stop Building Toyotas

In a move which might enable Subaru to finally keep up with demand, they will stop building Toyotas at their Indiana factory. They've been talking
about stopping for several years now but maybe they mean it this time.
http://www.autonews.com/article/20140509/OEM/140509812/fuji-heavy-to-stop-making-camry-in-u.s.-for-toyota-in-2016
On 9/29/2016 4:20 PM, John McGaw wrote:

Whoops. Grabbed the wrong link. This is probably more timely:
http://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-toyota-camry-out-and-2017-subaru-impreza
John McGaw wrote:

Typo in the article:
"SIA (Subaru of Indiana Automotive) who is owned by parent company Fiji Heavy Industries ..."
That should be Fuji. Fiji is 4500+ miles away from Japan.
On 9/29/2016 9:29 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

True, but Fiji has way better beaches and diving that Fuji...
On 9/29/2016 4:31 PM, John McGaw wrote:

I find it interesting that they'll be building a 3-row SUV there now, the Ascent 7, as they're calling it. They should just call it the Tribeca, as that's the successor car.
    Yousuf Khan
On 10/6/2016 6:58 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

There's no explaining marketing people -- they are a whole 'nother species.
On 10/7/2016 6:45 AM, John McGaw wrote:

I agree. I'm still scratching my head at Chrysler calling their minivan the "Pacifica".
On 10/7/2016 9:13 AM, PAS wrote:

Don't know. Pacifica (California) is a nice enough town when it isn't being battered by storms and washed into the ocean. I'd much rather be down the coast in Pescadero since that is where Duarte's is but I guess neither of those names would appeal.
On 10/7/2016 9:54 AM, John McGaw wrote:

I'm scratching my head because Chrysler used Pacifica not too long ago for the name of a different vehicle.
On 10/7/2016 2:04 PM, PAS wrote:

Maybe they are being overruled by the Italian owners? In Italian pacifica means peaceful as one might guess but the verb form pacificare can mean pacify, appease, reconcile, calm down or make up. Hidden messages?
Anyway, I was at the Subie dealer today since they _finally_ got the part to take care of my air bag recall (months and months and months late) and I walked around the showroom and lot while waiting. The new Outback which I was thinking of buying in 2018 is way different than my 2008. Feels much bigger and more luxurious (and wildly more expensive if there are any decent options) but it appears that even with the 6-cylinder the towing rating is only 2700 pounds which may not be sufficient to tow even a tiny lightweight camper. Bummer.
On 10/7/2016 2:39 PM, John McGaw wrote:

I have no need to tow anything so the towing capacity was of no concern to me in considering the Outback. We've got a '15 Limited and love it. It is certainly more luxurious than the older models, IMO.
BTW, your mentioning pacifica as meaning peaceful made me chuckle. When a family is hauling their kids around in a minivan, I wouldn't expect it to be a peaceful place to be in.
On 10/7/2016 2:04 PM, PAS wrote:

Well, the previous Pacifica was sort of minivan on its own, kind of a large station wagon.
    Yousuf Khan
On 11/5/2016 9:06 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:

I drove one of those for a week. I had a brand-new 2005 Chrysler 300C that had a mysterious problem the first week I owned it (the dealer did find what it was). While they had my new car in the shop, they gave me a Pacifica to drive. The 300 was a new model and there was a six-month wait to get one. The Pacifica name was first used as a concept for a luxury minivan, then it became a crossover when it was in production. I guess you can justify using the name for the new minivan, I would have used a new name but I'm not in the business and those marketing people know how to do their job better than I do.
On 10/7/2016 5:45 AM, John McGaw wrote:

When I was working in Silicon Valley industry we observed that the marketroids were exactly the ones who wore suits and ties even when they were not interviewing for jobs... The technical guys I worked with and managed sneered at the marketers, I did too, but at the same time I am sure the programmers would not have been happy making cold calls on prospective customers.

Site Timeline