Subaru Outback - Check Engine - 6 Cyl

On the Subaru Outback 3.0 / 6 cylinder engine there is a problem with the computer aided ignition system and carborator. My car has 40,000 miles on it, but it has been happening since around 30,000 miles.

On long trips driving at 60- 65 miles per hour for longer than an hour the engine starts to hesitate and jerk. When you slow down the car wants to run on and stay at the faster speed. It takes heavy brake application to get the car to stop. After finally stopping the idle speed greatly reduces down to slower than normal and will sometimes stall. After stopping and resuming normal slower speed driving, the engine immediately speeds up. Inorder to keep from running at a faster speed then you would desire, you must apply the brakes. While this is occuring when the automatic shift tries to move from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd the shifting operation is a violant kick. Making me think the transmission has been dropped off of the drive train. Driving the car in gear in this mode is like a jerking go then hold motion.

So I was able to drive to the dealership and they said it is the sensors that periodically take a statistical "snapshot" of the carborator, throttle plate, fuel richness, etc. These sensors are out of adjustment and need to be replaced. The dealership said this problem has been happening a lot on the 3.0 / 6 cylinder engine because of excess carbon build up. Cleaning the carbon build up will only temporarily fix the problem. This check engine light / carborator / iginition system problem never happens on any of the 4 cylinder engines. And yes, if the car is driven in this condition for long there would be serious problems happening to the drive train.

My car is under warranty and Subaru USA picks up the tab. Anyone out there with similar problems?

Reply to
Doug

Doug

Reply to
Bill Bradley

I have a 2002 VDC Sedan... never had anything like that happen. It's got

67,000 miles on it. I think I'd be afraid to drive your car... hope it gets fixed soon. John
Reply to
John A. Mason