Sylvania Silverstars -- forget it

So are you saying that Osram SSes are lower current than their Sylvania SS siblings? Why would they name them the same thing with such basic design differences?

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

I am.

Presumably the Sylvanias are burning hotter/at higher wattage to make up for starting out in the hole (having to overcome the cheesey "wannabe- HD" tint),compared to clear-capsule bulbs.

Heck if I know. Anyone know any Osram/Sylvania marketing types?

Reply to
CompUser

Hi,

I don't know any marketing types, but they've got a FAQ at

might answer some questions. BTW, a comment was made about the Silverstars using more current, thus shortening their life. This appears to be incorrect: check the ratings sections, and the voltage/current requirements are the same as several other models. Life expectancy is probably more closely related to the materials used.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Reply to
bigjim

Now it's my turn to admit to being "not so bright". The RH Silverstar burnt out after less than 3 months use. I replaced it today and it DOES have a blue tint. I looked at new ones at the store in passing and the tint *is* very light. It gets darker after use.

That's the last of Silverstars for me (except the remaining LH bulb goes in the junkbox as a road spare). The *first* LH bulb lasted all of 3 days. It wasn't my greasy fingers that killed it either; I spent years repairing projectors - I *know* bulbs.

I'm now using the XtraVisions; will see how that pans out.

FWIW; someone else mentioned a different cutoff for the XVs. That's highly unlikely unless the filament is mounted off the focal center. The only way the cutoff points could change otherwise is to physically change the reflectors built into the headlight housing.

Reply to
nobody >