Synthetic oil in 04 Outback Sedan Ltd.

Does Subaru recommend synthetic oil in its vehicles such as the 04 OB Sedan Ltd?

Reply to
rajp53

I've been using Syn in my 04 OBW for 46k miles with no problems

Reply to
bigjim

Mobil1 10W30 from day one in both my '99 Outback and my wife's '04 WRX. Love it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Castrol Syntech for my '05 STi. GTX for all my other 'barus past and present. No problems.

Chris

Reply to
bumpfreaq

I have a 2001 Forester S, with 85,000 miles. Been running Mobil 1,

5w-30 s> Does Subaru recommend synthetic oil in its vehicles such as the 04 OB > Sedan Ltd?
Reply to
etienne

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Dealer told me to avoid it before the first 7k miles on my new MY05 to allow better break in -- then to go wild after that. I use Mobil1 and love it.

Reply to
Mike Lloyd

10w30 NAPA regular mineral type oil in the winter for 1993 subaru 1.8L impreza 10w40 for summer actually used the walmart oil for about 120,000 miles right now the car has 294,000 miles NO engine problems what-so-ever!

for turbos in the winter time synthetic oil would be great, but otherwise, regular mineral type oil works just fine for me!

Paul J

Reply to
Paul Johnson

If you use synthetic oil, what is your oil change interval?

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

I change it every 5000 miles.

Reply to
bigjim

This is what I shoot for, if I were at 4K-4.5K and was planning a trip, I'd change beforehand. Plus, if I let it slip to 5600 or something, I know I still have good lubrication. I also use either Purolator Pure One filter or oem filter from

or other 'discount' dealer.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I like the Walmart supertech filters. The fram tough guard is what I used this time. I dont worry about a couple hundred miles either way. Long trip coming up it gets changed earlier- bad weather and it waits a week. With synthetic I know that lubrication is still good anywhere from 5-6000 miles.

Reply to
bigjim

Speakinawich, is it possible to change the oil in a Legacy without a lift or jack stands or anything? I've had some cars that let me do it just by crawling underneath, and some that didn't. So I haven't done an oil change myself in a long time.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Reingold

I could probably do it on my wife's Outback - but really need the toom. A smaller more dextrous guy I'm sure could do so. In the distant past, I have been known to drive onto a curb, bricks, pilse of rocks or stacks of lumber to get some clearance. Now I have some ramps. Look at Rhino ramps - they don't make the kind I have now anymore.

Carl

1 Lucky Texan
Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan