T-Belt changing

I getting ready to change the timing belt on my 2.5L SOHC Forester. I have 95,000 miles on the original belt and wish to drive the car to ~150,000 miles. I plan on changing the water pump (new one from Advanced Auto OK? Should I also replace the timing belt tensioner and idler pulleys? Anything else? Thanks so much. Ed Hayes

Reply to
Edward Hayes

If you're planning to keep the car, you're doing the right thing changing all those items. In addition you may want to replace the camshaft and crankshaft seals even if they aren't leaking as they are known to do so at high mileage. I would suggest biting the bullet and using all OEM parts, the extra cost isn't that bad taken over the projected life of the car. You wouldn't want that pump to fail prematurely and require you to take it all apart again, an OEM one is far less likely to do so. Same goes for the belt and the other parts, just take a trip to the dealer with your list and credit card.

Reply to
mulder

I went through this this past summer. I did not use OEM belt or WP but did for the thermostat. Belt was HQ U.S. made belt, Kelly Springfield. WP was Japanese mfg, looked to be of HQ and came with a lifetime guarantee. Partial reason for using non-OEM parts is there is no local dealer and these parts were available at local parts store. When I had the head gaskets replaced earlier this yr I told the shop about the belt and WP replacement, didn't receive any hard sell to replace again and this shop is a OEM parts only shop.

As for the thermostat, purchase a Beck Arnley, $20, and then found out the water passage was only about 50% of that of OEM so took back the BA part.

As for the other parts you mention. I would give them a close insp and then decide what to do. If money is no issue than replace to be on the safe side.

Do pay attention to instructions for the belt tensioner as the piston has to be compressed VERY SLOW so as not to damage the seal/valve. The tensioner is heavily dampened.

Mickey

Reply to
Mickey

As others have mentioned, seals. They only take a few minutes apiece and are cheap.

It's also a good time to change fan belts, plugs and coolant.

Reply to
GrumpyOldGeek

Hi, Ed

Others have covered the seals issue: I think it's wise to replace all the front engine seals at each t-belt change.

On OEM or aftermarket: my experience has been to go OEM only w/ t-belts, and I used OEM idlers and tensioners cuz my dealer had 'em when I needed 'em and the local parts store had to order them and it would take longer than I wanted to wait at the time. However, their price was half that of the dealer, and I seriously doubt there are that many people out their making those particular parts, so you stand a good chance of getting an identical part to the OEM unit. That's been the case w/ wheel bearings and various seals IME. Water pump? New, I've done ok w/ aftermarket for most apps (used OEM for my Subie for same reason I used OEM idlers, etc.--a bit of planning would probably save a ton of money next time!) but I wouldn't go "rebuilt" cuz of the amount of labor involved getting to the pump if it's not a good one. You might want to add valve covers and ALL the hoses to the list just cuz of mileage (if they're still originals.)

Good luck w/ the job!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

My strongest advice is to use OEM parts. Subarus are OEM-parts sensitive. Second to that, it's a good idea to replace seals, belt tensioner, and water pump while you're at it. They're likely to go in the next 20-40,000 miles, which'll require you to remove the t-belt again. Although I didn't do it myself, it's also a good idea to replace the oil pump too.

Reply to
lkreh

Why are Subies more sensitive to after market parts than other breeds?

Dean

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Reply to