The Outback no longer sux...

OK, it didn't used to suck, but it wasn't to my taste. Original OBs had no sunroof, and later generation ones had a kludge that wouldn't slide back from over the driver.

Anyway I saw the new Subes at the SF Auto Show, and the Legacy & Outback both get a very nice big sliding sunroof. As nice as or nicer than the excellent one on the Forester.

Some time ago I learned that the Forester was the perfect size for one person to sleep in the back, even when full of gear. Today I learned that the WRX wagon is just big enough for a person to sleep in back too, although with less gear room.

Looks like the new Ford Freelander (?) could sleep two comfortably and have room for gear. Not sure about the Outbacks. Anyway I hope it'll be awhile before I need a new wagon.

Reply to
David

The sunroof is just soooo important. The new one is a step backwards IMO. Typical Jap "metoo" design and integrated audio which makes it impossible to tear out the crap subaru calls a stereo. The 04 is the zenith of awd wagons and suv alternatives

With Ford quality you may get the chance to sleep in the back when vehicle is dead miles from nowhere.

Reply to
busterb

Funny. Our '96 Ford truck with 93,xxx miles has been more places offroad than a Subaru can (including the Outback in the garage) with the exception of the repair shop. $600+ still hasn't chased down the solution to a persistent warning light, and this is just the latest problem. I'm still waiting for the original battery in my truck to give up. I'll change it with the 100K service I suppose. The trucks unquestionable trouble-free dependability is making the "trade the older vehicle" theory much more difficult this time.

hr

Reply to
huffyrider

So, for your '96 truck, you've only logged 11-12k miles per year? That's really quite low. I'm sorry you've had problems with your Subaru. I'm on my third ('80 (gone), '90 and '02); never had any major problems with any of them. Guess it can depend alot on the driver. I would agree however, that Ford has come a long way from the 'Found On the Roadside Dead' days. However, I don't think they've ever equaled the quality of any foreign automobile. John

Reply to
John A.

David scribbled:

What, do you live in your car or something?

I don't think that whether or not one can sleep in the trunk matters all that much to a WRX buyer.

Reply to
powertrain

Yep, the miles are quite low. It's a truck, not a commuter. It's generally not used for the easy drives that consumes a ton of miles. There are no Suby options for the work it handles.

Yeah, my wife is a real terror on vehicles. Uh huh. FWIW, a neighbor has had worse luck with her '01 Outback.

You may want to rethink the "ever" and "any" parts of your last statement. That would at least make it reasonable. BTW, I thought it stood for 'First On Race Day' years before your '80 Suby came into existence. ;)

hr

Reply to
huffyrider

Some time ago I learned that the Forester was the perfect size for

I'm more concerned by the thought of the police finding you sleeping in the back full of gear. Stay home man!

Reply to
hippo

:)

Every OBW owner I know appreciates the ability to sleep in the back of their wagon when they're doing outdoor activities. Quick, easy and comfortable place to camp. Same for many of my friends who own 4x4 pickups, except they get more space to sleep.

It doesn't sound like it's especially important to people on this news group though...

Reply to
David

OK, but how can we take you seriously if you ride a Huffy?

Reply to
MattB

That might be his wife's name, don't jump to conclusions :)

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Nice shootin' Tex! Huffy wouldn't really describe her though. Intense might be closer :)

Actually MattB, you might not recognize the "brand" of bike(s) I ride. Besides, they all look the same from the behind when sucking wind (or dust) trying to keep up - or so I've been told ;)

hr

Reply to
huffyrider

Edit (removal of Freudian slip - sheesh):

Nice shootin' Tex! Huffy wouldn't really describe her though. Intense might be closer :)

Actually MattB, you might not recognize the "brand" of bike(s) I ride. Besides, they all look the same from behind when sucking wind (or dust) trying to keep up - or so I've been told ;)

hr

Reply to
huffyrider

Well I Thought That Ford Meant "Fix It Or Repair it Daily".

Reply to
<ros_ada

FIORID. Nice work.

"acronym (noun). word formed from the first letters or syllables of other words."

What "other words" are you using? K.I.S.S!

hr

Reply to
huffyrider

or f***ed over real Dodge !