Test Drove 2005 Outback Wagon and Legacy GT Sedan Manual

Just got back from a test drive of a new OBW with my family. The car seems to have plenty of power and the manual shift mode on the auto tranny was fun. My wife kept remembering our 83 GL Wagon and how noisy, slow, etc. it was. The difference is night and day. Ride was a little bumpy over rough asphalt patches where potholes were filled, but I guess that is due to the OBW suspension stiffness. The wagon was well finished with what looked like some real wood in the console; I liked everything about it, but the price. Have to really load it up to get sunroof or leather. The Legacy GT turbo sedan was wonderful. Gauges were entertaining and the thing is fast; 5 speed tranny was nice except first gear seemed a little too high for smooth take offs (though haven't driven a stick in years. Nice perforated leather seats (black interior on black ext). Its no problem to put your head back into the headrest with a little throttle. Salesman said the turbo was borrowed from Izuzu! The family didn't ride with me in the GT; just the salesman. When I got back and we had our critiquing period on the ride home, I told my wife that if my vehicle went belly up soon, I'd be in the market for a GT Legacy Wagon with manual! But, she gets to pick first. I don't have much experience with Subarus to be saying this, but I believe Subaru got it right-real right (great looks, great safety, plenty of power, nice fit and finish). I hope the reliabilty is good(especially the turbo)with few recalls. Now, I hope they'll negotiate on the prices.

Gregg

Reply to
G.R. Aydelotte

There are plenty of highly-thrashed early 90's Legacies with turbos here in NZ. The turbos don't seem to be a problem -- though they can aparrently cause problems further down the drivetrain if driven too agressively.

Judging by the number owned at gliding clubs, a lot of people must think they're just about the ideal car for towing in NZ's mountains and often unsealed back roads. Myself, I find the 2.5l non-turbo plenty peppy enough.

Here's mine:

-- Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Hoult

You didn't mention how the ride of the GT was... I assume much better than the Outback, although you mentioned the outback was stiff. I don't think my Outback sedan is stiff, the damping is there but the spring rates and body roll make for a mushy ride and a scary ride if driven aggressively. When I go for a ride in my wife's car and then get back into my Outback I feel like I'm driving Fred Flintstones car and I scrunch down so people don't see me. I did like my Legacy GT sedan though but still, compared to the wife's car it was an embarrassment. TG

Reply to
TG

I'd say my 04 OBW is on the stiff side. Not harsh, but a firm ride that provides excellent cornering and handling making for a fun ride.

Reply to
Jkpoulos7

I love my Subs for specific reasons and have owned many but "04 OBW is on the stiff side. Not harsh, but a firm ride that provides excellent cornering and handling making for a fun ride" makes me wonder what else you have driven. TG

Reply to
TG

I drove a base Atlantic Blue OBW this past Saturday and I would say that the ride is a tad firmer but more controlled. It seems to absorb bumps better than my 2000 OBW. It is also quieter and has more pickup. The brakes have a firmness that takes getting used to after having driven spongy brakes on my

2000 for 4 years. The doors make a very unSubaru "clunk" when you close them! A feeling of more quality. The interior is understated and very up market looking - there is no wood trim, fake or otherwise anywhere but lots of brushed aluminium. The centre consol has a very Audi look to it. Seat materials seem to be of higher quality on the base OBW I was looking at. The front seats "look" narrower and are a little firmer. The coffee holders are in a retractable pod - very classy! Things I especially like are 3 power outlets, two in the front and one in the cargo area with space for a 4th. I also like the bits of chrome trim in the interior like on the tonneau cover and on the luggage hooks. I like how the speedo and rpm needles spin to the far right on start-up - classy. The radio seems to have more depth. My wife remarked that the tailgate is easier to bring down to close as it feels a lot lighter. The two-tone colour treatment on the exterior is less garish. Things I don't like - NOTHING!

Did not have a chance to drive the Legacy sedan as it had not been prepped yet. Also learned that there will NOT be an Outback sedan.

Ron

Reply to
Rockin Ronnie

snip

Sorry, the Legacy Sedan was smoother over the same section of road and interstate that I drove the OBW over, in fact, it was so much smoother that I didn't even notice the bumps! I'd love to drive one in a turbo wagon with leather. Going to look a 05 and 04 Legacy and OBW tonight. I am in the process of convincing my wife that the Subaru is safer and better than a Toyota Highlander(her favorite). I was trying to use NHTSA's site to prove my point, except they say that their test data is relevant to comparing across classes of vehicles of the same weight. The roll over rating on the 04 OBW and Legacy is 4 stars, while the rating for the Highlander is 3 stars. Subaru is safer, but I was hoping for a greater difference like a 5 star rating for the 05 OBW or Legacy (when they test it). I read in another post that the manufacturers of SUV's had gotten roll ratings specific to SUV's that kept them from being compared to cars. This is in conflict with NHTSA's website, unless I missed something. Didn't see that Japan's or Australia's safety agency site tests for roll overs.

Gregg

Reply to
G.R. Aydelotte

The tailgate is now made of aluminium, so that is why it is easier to pull down to close.

Reply to
Lance B

Gregg,

Check out

and see the 2005 Liberty (Legacy) and Outbacks score the highest mark ever recorded for safety in the NCAP ratings for crash safety. NCAP is the New Car Assessment Program for car crash safety here in Australia.

Reply to
Lance B