Thumps and Thuds

Hello Usergroup, You all have been a great resource. I have another one for you that has me baffled. Something with the brakes/suspension/steering mech. My 1999 Forester gives a slight shimmy with feedback through the steering wheel when braking. I've been told that the rotors need to be turned (I've got new pads tho). 104K miles on it now. This makes sense but there are a couple of other things wierd. 1- When braking you can hear a slight "Thud" sound when you first depress the brake and it has been more than a couple of minutes since you last braked. Doesn't do it when sitting around -just when driving. Sound is not pronounced but seems to be from the front. My auto mech said he couldn't hear it a few weeks ago- so he couldn't offer anything as source- but it is more distinct now. 2- Also a few weeks ago this one showed up. When you are driving very slow, like turning into a 90degree parking space and you give the wheel a hard turn to make the turn you can hear a rapid "Thumping" noise from the steering and feedback into the steering wheel. It's pretty noticeable, maybe thumping at about 3 or 4 thumps per sec. Happens when turning either direction and your turning hard (doesn't have to be up against the limit tho). The next one is probably not Steering/brake related. 3- Another thing is with the car at idle or on shifting from 1 to

2 , sometimes 2 to 3 you hear a high frequency rattling noise-intermittently- it's not always rattling. My mech said it was the Cat converter and replaced it. Problem seemed to go away then showed up again a few weeks later. He "tightened" up the heat shields and it went away for a couple of months. One more "tighten" but it ain't gone now. Now I'm Not so sure it was the Cat or the loose shields.

Looking for any suggestions so I don't get burned (like on a Cat Converter). Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

This one;

2- Also a few weeks ago this one showed up. When you are > driving very slow, like turning into a 90degree parking space and you give > the wheel a hard turn to make the turn you can hear a rapid "Thumping" noise > from the steering and feedback into the steering wheel. It's pretty > noticeable, maybe thumping at about 3 or 4 thumps per sec. Happens when > turning either direction and your turning hard (doesn't have to be up > against the limit tho).

may very well be a bad duty solenoid C or viscous coupling. If you have an auto, try putting the FWD fuse in place nad do tight turns in a parking lot. If the problem goes away - possible tranny troubles.

The first may be just rotors, but it may be worth trying rotation the tires to see if it get better - seems that there are a lot of tires nowadays that have 'issues' before the tread wears down. But there are reports of brake pads shifting around and clicking. maybe if a reverse/forward duplicates the problem at least your mech. could hear it.

let us know what you find out OK?

Carl

And I've read that other folks have reported heat shield rattles on Impreza chassis quite a bit. I'd bet that's not unusual.

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

warped rotor is a definite possibility for the brake shimmy. The mileage is not high, but the thud you describe could come from a worn bushing(s) in the suspension. Either for a strut or a control arm. It could also be a strut. Try the reverse-brake/forward-brake sequence to see if you can reproduce it. Have you ever replaced the half-shafts? The mileage is high enough that this could be an issue, more likely than a worn bushing somewhere.

2 , sometimes 2 to 3 you hear a high frequency rattling noise-intermittently- it's not always rattling. My mech said it was the Cat converter and replaced it. Problem seemed to go away then showed up again a few weeks later. He "tightened" up the heat shields and it went away for a couple of months. One more "tighten" but it ain't gone now. Now I'm Not so sure it was the Cat or the loose shields.

Looking for any suggestions so I don't get burned (like on a Cat Converter). Thanks, Mark

Reply to
news.radiant.net
  1. I dont know.

  1. Check your tire pressure before doing anything. Could just be it needs air. (Get a dial/needle one, not one of those stupid sticks.)

Reply to
Sparky Polastri

I thought warped rotors were a myth and that modern brakes can potentially leave a deposit on the rotor which causes future braking shudders, if you stop hard and let the pad cool while gripping the rotor?

Reply to
k. ote

The theory I heard was a little different. Had to do with stopping hard and leaving the brakes applied, not allowing the rotor to cool evenly and causing warpage. I would think the deposits left on the rotor would easily be scraped off the next time the brakes were applied, but I am certainly no expert.

-Kurt

k. ote wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

No, it's pad deposits..."cementite"..and they're harder than the rotor iron, so they don't wear down, while the rest of the rotor does, getting progressively worse.

Reply to
CompUser

Interesting... well as interesting as warped rotors can be. :-) Thanks for the info.

-Kurt

CompUser wrote:

Reply to
Kurt C. Hack

I think stoptech (?) has a good essay on this...possibly over on tirerack.com too...

Reply to
CompUser