Thundersnowstorm?

Has anyone ever seen a thundersnowstorm? It was the wierdest thing, usually you don't see thunder/lightening and snow together. I was driving back to Montreal from Ottawa last night, and half way between, it struck on the highway. Initially you just noticed that the highway had turned greyish, from the ice pellets and snow. So I immediately got off the cruise control, slowed right down to 80kph from 120kph, and took manual control at that point, because you could tell things were getting squirrelly even while you were driving straight. Then you start seeing ice pellets, snow and freezing rain all coming at you at different times. Wind had kicked upto 40kph, aimed right across your side trying to push you off the road. And then you start seeing the bolts of lightening.

It was the first time I didn't even feel confident in my Outback.

YOusuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

We had one come through here a few weeks go. (15 miles NW Baltimore, MD USA) It started with thunder rumbling in the distance and quickly progressed to lightning and thunder very close to our house. I got up and peeked out the window to find it snowing at a good rate. The storm only lasted about 20 minutes-- it is only the second time I can ever remember thunder, lightning and snow at the same time. Must be all that global warming. ;)

Steve

Reply to
SuperPoo

Reply to
Jonah

Or, if you get really sick of it, move to Victoria! We got a whopping 1 inch of snow this winter.

Mind you, the average house price is just over half a mil, but HEY! It's worth it!!. ;)

Grrrarrrgghh....

Reply to
BD

Not all that uncommon (reported several times a year) here in the mountains of northern Arizona... we call it "thundersnow." I think it is more common than we realize, because snow limits the distance the flash can be seen and the distance it can be heard.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Jonah scribbled:

I don't think I've ever seen a Subie in the ditch. Lots of SUVs though...

Reply to
MK IV

Reply to
Bart

They are very common in Boston. I've been in them (on foot) above timberline in western Nevada.

Reply to
H.W. Stockman

We used to see them every winter. I was stationed at a small USAF communication site in the mountains of southern Italy. Our site had a fabulous view of the bay of Naples & Mt Vesuvius. We were the tallest peak around, and had several 60' billboard antennas. I guess they acted as giant lightning attractors. It was very scary to be going between buildings and have lightning and thunder around you. Snow, wind, and cold was so bad in the winter that we had ropes tied between the buildings to hold onto. When you left one building, you had to call your destination building and let them know you were coming, and when you got there, you had to call the building you left. It was the best way to make sure no one was stuck out in the elements.

Reply to
QX

what's "Victoria"?

BD wrote:

Reply to
Danny M

Ummm.. A city in Western Canada? Capital of British Columbia... close to Vancouver....

Reply to
BD

Ummm... a generic US cop car, more commonly known as a Crown Vic....

Reply to
Jim Stewart

But a generic US cop car ain't normally a place to go to avoid snow. Maybe to plow through it...

What else...

Some old Brit royal from way back?

Reply to
BD

That depends.. when someone's about to jump off a bridge are people in Montreal mortified and shouting at him not to, or do they stand at the bottom like vultures and chant, "jump, jump, jump, jump?"

If so, then Montreal is no better than Victoria. If not, then I'll entertain your comment. :)

Reply to
k. ote