Has anyone seen brake lines plug up?

Had a guy I know bring his 1980 chevy 1/2 ton van down. It had a bad brake pull. The van had been into a garage a few times for this problem. Last time he had new calipers installed but it still did it.

So anyway we took the wheels off and found that the front brake hoses were plugged/restricted and the left one really bad.

What had happened is the metal clamp that goes around the hose and attaches it to the uppper control arm had started to rust. Over time as it rusted away it expanded and clamped down harder on the hose till it blocked it off.

Reply to
Hayman

pull. The van had been into a garage a few times for this problem. Last time he had new calipers installed but it still did it.

plugged/restricted and the left one really bad.

attaches it to the uppper control arm had started to rust. Over time as it rusted away it expanded and clamped down harder on the hose till it blocked it off.

Had that happen to my '86 S-15 Jimmy. The rubber on the hoses was damaged from the compression of the rust so I just replaced the hoses.

Make sure the hose will "slide" through the clamp, but not fall out. I usually do that when I grease the front end, spring and fall.

Haven't had a problem since on my other S-10's.

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

pull. The van had been into a garage a few times for this problem. Last time he had new calipers installed but it still did it.

plugged/restricted and the left one really bad.

attaches it to the uppper control arm had started to rust. Over time as it rusted away it expanded and clamped down harder on the hose till it blocked it off.

That's very common, especially on older vehicles. The inner lining deteriorates while the outside still looks fine. H

Reply to
Hairy

_______

Had a very weird experience like this with an '86 Chrysler K-car. Wear on the inside of the left front brake line caused a piece to flap down and close the line. It acted like a check valve and locked the wheel. After sitting for awhile, the piece would go back into place and the car would be driveable. The kind of problem that drives you nuts!

Marshall

Reply to
Marshall Schuon