Timing belt idler - how smooth?

Hi all My manual states to "check the idler bearing for smooth operation". Exactly how smooth do they mean? As smooth as a roller skate wheel and roll forever? Or, when you give it a whirl, it is supposed to rotate a couple of rotations and stop. Just making sure that I don't need a new one.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

I'm not a real mechanic, just an engineer and home shop machinist, so take my advice with a grain of salt (:

Smooth means "not gritty". If it has grease in it (and it should), it will not spin more than a couple revolutions. Turn it by hand while pressing it to one side then the other. Make sure there isn't excessive play and that it turns smoothly no matter how you put pressure on it.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks - that was very clear. You should have written that manual :)

Reply to
Remco

Did you ever get that flexplate problem fixed? just curious.

Reply to
johninKY

Hey John Thanks for the follow up - you have a good memory.

I had ordered the parts online weeks ago and finally received them the other day so just started replacing stuff. The pricing was much better than the local Subaru dealer but they were painfully sloooowww!

Also got a waterpump, seals, etc. (see my other question on using sealant on the pump). I will let this group know how it works out -- will probably put the engine back in over the weekend, if it all goes well.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Just an update: I got the engine in, everything is hooked up and have no parts left over. Everything went without a hitch. The engine slipped right back in - that was actually surprisingly easy. The exhaust headers were a little troublesome (should have bought new studs and nuts) so that took a little monkeying around.

Did find that the bolts Subaru sold me to attach the drive plate to the torque converter were the wrong size!! I should have checked them when I got them the other day and not wait until today.. Of course, found out after the parts department closes (after 12 on Saturday). I didn't want to get different bolts as the Subaru ones are probably some sort of specially hardened bolts. (don't want to do this twice in a row). So will have to get the bolts from the dealer during the week and then fire it up.

Again, I will post results here. Remco

Reply to
Remco