Punto Mk2 1,2 16v, how change timing belt?

Hi everyone

This is my first post, hope someone out there will know this. I?ve promised to help a friend of mine to change the water pump, timing belt + tensioner. He bought a "Haynes" manual and the job is described quite well. The problem is that I don?t have the 2 tools required to lock the cams, neither the 4 tools required to zero the crank (rods going down through the spark plug holes). I can have them made where I work, but I?ve never come across a petrol engine needing such tools when changing timing belt...Will I get a good result just if I mark the wheels and swap the belt or are all these tools really needed??? Please note that only one cam pulley since the other cam turns by a tothed gear. Forgot to say that the car is a year 2000 model. Please excuse my english, promise to work on it...

Did a Renault clio (8v) some weeks ago, piece of cake. And a Audi a4

1,9tdi (diesel) last week (not a piece of cake but it runs well). Has also done a few Audi a6 2,5 tdi as well, horrible sight when the timing belt snaps...

Thanx in advance

Regards Fredrik, Sweden

Reply to
freddy

I've not yet had to replace a cam belt on a Punto 16V. My wife's 1.8ie HGT Punto is due for one soon and I intend to do it myself. I also have the Fiat and Haynes workshop manuals and note the method and tools required with interest.

I have been told that even with the cam belt tensioner released there is not much slack in the belt and removal and replacement is a little tight and being able to lock everything down makes things easier. Also remember that the procedures are written for belt replacment AND engine rebuild. If a rebuild then one would need the tools. For a replacement then due care and attention is probably Ok.

Some tips I can suggest are:

A) loosen the crank pulley nut/nuts

1) remove the spark plugs! 2) put the engine a TDC or BDC (top dead center / bottom dead center) 3) put in 1st/reverse gear 4) lock the flywheel 5) mark existing belt, pulleys, tensioner etc. with chalk or other maker 6) be extra careful to ensure the two cam shaft pulleys/sprockets are accuraqtely measured relative to each other 7) use an old cambelt to lock the camshaft pulleys realtive to each other 8) take it slow and easy.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: >

Nick Bailey /////