Timing belt tensioner

I have a 2003 Baja and the local subie shop says a need to replace the tensioner.My mileage is about 55k.Does that seem right or am I getting hosed?Of course if it goes I'm in deep doo-doo.

Reply to
tanma

tanman@yahoo I have a 2003 Baja and the local subie shop says a need to replace the

My first response would be "hosed", but then I don't know the whole story. Why is your Baja at the shop?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

My car's had about 5 or 6 of the goddamned things (only one of which I had to pay for thank god). They're an achilles heel of the engine it seems, and your engine wouldn't be too different I don't think.

Is your power train warranty still intact? You're under 60k.... I can't recall the time limit on it if any.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

"tanman@yahoo" wrote in news:Ip63i.93$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.lga:

I had it replaced under warranty on my '03 Impreza at about 25,000 Km. From what I understand there has been 'issues' with the belt tensioner for quite some time. Here is an article describing the problem I had:

Fuzzy Logic

Are you hearing any odd noises?

On my 2004 WRX, the smallest idler pulley started going out around 50K...sounded like a supercharger whine, getting louder and louder. That idler spins faster than any of the others, so it's the probably candidate for early bearing death.

The timing belt kits on ebay come with OEM tensioners...I got a kit with belt, tensioner and all pulleys/sprockets for a bit over $300.

Reply to
CompUser

Thanks for all the replies! Basically I had the Baja in the shop to have the tires changed from winter to summer.The mechanic made a note that the timing belt tensioner needed to be replaced.Not being(at all)mechanically inclined I really couldn't call him on it.I've always had the famous piston noise that goes away after 10 minutes-on the other hand they did a major valve job about a month ago which they covered under warranty.That gets me to thinking-why did they cover one and not another? Anyways it cost about $330.I really like the Baja and I wish they still made it but I'm a bit concerned about reliability.Over the past 4 years it's been things here and there(leaky sunroof,noisy mirrors)but since they were under warranty I didn't really mind espcially since the Baja was just what I needed.Just hope nothing else major goes for a while.

Reply to
tanma