Timing system idler and pulley

Since I noticed a couple of timing belt threads this morning, I'd like to throw out a question for the group.

A recent newspaper article on changing the timing belt every 60,000 miles also stated "Independent technicians recommend replacing the timing system idler and pulley which may have a shorter operational life than the timing belt".

What are your impressions on this statement? Applicable to Subaru's? Applicable to some other make? Hype to sell more parts? With no personal experience, I'm guessing that the latter is true but would be interested if anyone has info that is better than my SWAG.

'90 Legacy sedan '95 LegacyLS wagon '02 ForesterS

BoB For the duration of Swen, my address is inoperative.

Reply to
BoB

It's a little hard to know what they are talking about. On the 2.5 engine, there are a total of

4 idler pulleys, 2 smooth fixed, 1 smooth toothed and 1 smooth on the tensioner. I'm all for changing te tensioner, including the pulley because it's the only way it comes. I haven't heard any recommendation to change the others as a preventative measure.

Every time I've had a bearing fail, it let me know long before it died by making noise. If I hear anything strange under there, I'll pull it apart and find out.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

When timing belt replacement is discussed here, replacing other trouble prone items (water pump, seals, external belts) usually gets a mention. Subarus have more than one idler and a tensioner. I spin the idlers and replace them if noisy...usually 250,000 miles or so. The tensioner never gets checked by me but is replaced at about 200,000 miles....every other time I do the belt. Replacing all of the idlers prematurely would be very expensive. When they are getting real worn you will know it. TG

Reply to
TG

Thanks TG and Jim.

BoB