Tire Circumference

I contacted Subaru at

and ask the following question. What is the maximum allowable circumference difference for AWD Subaru's??? Their response from J. Mergen was. "All four tires on AWD Subaru's must be within

1/4 inch circumference of each other" I love my Subaru Forester but that difference is ridicules on a car sold to the general public. I wish Subaru made a 2 wheel drive version of my Forester. Eddie
Reply to
Edward Hayes

Simple arithmetic says that this translates into a difference in radius (i.e. tire wear) of about 4/100 of an inch. Are manufacturing tolerances even that tight?

Reply to
cc0113830

As much as I like my Subaru, I think it is a ridiculous spec as well. Does anyone out there actually measure their tires on a regular basis? Is it in the maintenance schedule?

If there is a danger of destroying the viscous coupler from like type tires that are slightly different in dimensions, I'd think that the reasonably thing to do would be to provide an overtemp light for the coupler. Then at least, you could stop and let it cool down then get the situation fixed.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Reply to
Edward Hayes

That's why you're supposed to go with 4 tires of the same size/brand/model. I've seen BIG differences in true size in tires of different brands labeled in the same size.

Reply to
someone

We did *just* get home with a new Legacy (it now has 36 miles on the odo!) and that would at least be interesting to note. I think it's time to roll the car on the drive with some chalk on the tread!

Reply to
TW-Ohio

little brouhaha on this over here:

ken

Reply to
Ken Gilbert

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Subaru is always overstating the sensitivity of the drive train components. To read my Loyale's manual, you'd think the transfer case would be toast every time you put the car in 4WD and had one low tire, or were driving along icy roads with the 4WD on and had to go over a dry patch stretching about a hundred feet before you got back to the slippery stuff.

It's like someone else said, it's just so they can insulate themselves against paying for major drivetrain work if they feel like it.

--Decimal Cat

Reply to
Decimal Cat