No reverse gear ('93 Legacy AWD)

Rather suddenly, we lost reverse on our automatic '93 Legacy wagon (AWD) In the morning when everything is cold, reverse works fine. Once the fluid is up to temp, however, then it starts slipping something fierce and we lose the reverse gear.

Any ideas?

(I greatly apprectiate this wonderful aspect of the net communities. While I cannot add much to the Subaru discussions, if anyone has a question about an old woodworking tool, I'll be glad to recipricate... ;-)

Thanks, Rick

Reply to
Rick

This is not uncommon on those cars, and apparently it is basically an"O" ring that gets worn or breaks that is the problem. Unfortunately, this part is in the front of the transmission and requires an overhaul to replace, at which time it makes sense to replace any other worn componenets, basically a tranny rebuild. You should try a transmission additive, such as Lucas transmission additive, to see if it cures the problem enough to make the car useable (go lightly when reversing, and wait for the gear to fully engage befor stepping on the gas). Otherwise, you could put in a used part, but of coarse, you rarely know the history of a used part, and it might be little better than yours. Ed

Reply to
ed