Trying to make up my mnd about Baja

Any idea whether the Baja will be returning to the US next year? Strongly considering purchasing an '04, but I'm thinking some types of repairs would really be expensive due to their limited numbers.

On another note. If I can't find a turbo, I would consider an '03 with a manual tranny. Are you '03 MT owners satisfied with the performance of your vehicle?

Thanks for any insights. -- Dale

Reply to
DRM

I don't know when I came across with an article saying that the Baja will be discontinued later.

Reply to
Daya

"DRM" wrote in news:wRBUb.101025$U%5.504344 @attbi_s03:

I have an auto '03. As far as an '05, the chances of this occuring, with the new facelift that the Outback/Legacy are receiving isn't good. They set their '04 production level at 2000. I know quite a few people from across the country who have purchased '04 turbos and have to wait a few months for delivery due to the limited availability.

If you want one get one now, especially if you're interested in its current design since if one is produced for '05 it won't look the same.

They(SOA) never gave the Baja a chance. The screwed up on marketing, but imo the bigger screw up was not offering the turbo in the '03MY. There are plenty of people who opted for another make or another Subaru after being underimpressed with the '03's power. These people are not going to be the same people who bought the '04. Had they went turbo initially, there would have been more of a grassroots build up for it. But they lost out on that window.

Subaru is fast becoming just another Nissan, with their opting to get away from their outdoor appeal in exchange for high HP and generic Maxima-like appearances.

Reply to
Jeremiah

I believe the Baja shares the entire powertrain with the Legacy which would make used parts readily available.

Stu

Reply to
Stu Hedith

I got the 5-speed Baja in late November and am quite pleased with it. However... I was replacing a 12 yr old Mercedes 190e (4cyl with

130HP). And my other vehicle is an underpowered '95 Mitsubishi Montero (V6 with 150HP). So, what is perky to me may well be not enough for someone else. I also don't mind saving money on gas (regular vs premium as in the turbo).

Reply to
jMon

I had an 03 manual Baja and it was OK. It's strong suite was from 60 to 70 mph. When I'd go to pass I always had to look at the shifter to see if I was still in 5th because it accelerated so well. My wife got rid of her Honda Accord (which I could beat easily) and bought an Infiniti G35. Since I couldn't even get close to that performance, I traded my 03 in for an 04 Baja Turbo. Now instead of pretty good performance, I have a snarling beast. I'm not sure how many other cars I can beat in those mild stop light drags from 0 to 65 mph but it seems most don't stand a chance. Of course they don't know they're racing!

Reply to
Mike Minerva