Faulty 4WD solenoid

I have owned 4 Subaru 4WD cars, and the two most recent ones have suffered from transmission bind up when turning on hard surfaces.

Apparently this is caused by failure of the 4WD solenoid which in turn causes one of the clutch packs in the AT to wear or burn out.

One car is an 1992 SVX, 129,000km, the other a 1995 Legacy 250T with just

79,000km.

My other cars [1991 2.2 GX Legacy, 1992 Ti-S Legacy] clocked up 200,000km+ without showing any signs of this problem.

Can anyone comment on how common this problem is among automatic trans Subaru's ?

Is there is better replacement solenoid which is less inclined to fail ?

thanks shane

Reply to
Shane Hobson

Happened in my 1996 Legacy LSi with only 80,000kms. It's apparently a common problem in this year-range. Simply a matter of bad desing. The only thing they do is replace the transfer clutch. When I had mine replaced they didn't mention that it was caused by the solenoid, just that the transfer clutches wear out quicker than they should.

Chris

Reply to
Alpha Male

Take a look at