Um, what's the difference...

between a "3 door Coupe" and a Hatchback?

I'm trying to get parts for this thing, and I have them asking if it's a

3-door coupe or a hatchback, and it DOES make a fifferrence...like a $50 difference on struts!!!

All I remember of the VIN is the first 7 characters. From

1980 to 1989 Subaru VIN Decoder

VIN: JF2 AG53 #: 123 45678 9 10 11 12-17

Error, VIN contains 7 characters instead of 17. Section #'s Meaning Manufacturer I.D. Code: JF2 FHI, Multipurpose Passenger Vehicle Line: A Fuji Subaru Loyale and XT Line Body Type: G 3-DR Coupe Engine Type: 5 1800 (1.8L) 4WD (W/O Air Susp.) Model Information: 3 GL

Reply to
Hachiroku

The difference is one model is based on the BRAT platform and the other on the GL/Loyale platform. I think you have the 3-door model. Ask the counter guy to crossrefernce shocks for a BRAT and hatchback. If the PN are the same then buy the shocks/struts for the 3-door model. Or you could ask for parts for a RX model. Problem here is I don't think struts/shocks for the RX are made anymore.

Reply to
johninKY

Ah, yes, this makes a lot of sense! I see what the difference would be, then!

I don't believe it's an RX, but I don't think it's a coupe either (although a VIN decoder said it was...)

I used to work at CarQuest, and I went there yesterday and stumped them, too...But, they gave me the name of a Subaru Guru in town, so I'll head over there tomorrow...he wasn't in today...

I think it's the GL. The VIN is JF2AG53...

Reply to
Hachiroku

You should really checkout the forums at

lots of old soobs there

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Thanks! I certainly will!

Interesting. On the brochure, this is called the Hatchback:

and this is called the Three door Coupe:
This is the one I have. I can see where the hatchback is based on the BRAT, whereas the 3-door coupe is based on the GL/Leone platform!

Thanks, this is the first real model ID I have seen!

Reply to
Hachiroku