Upper rad hose

I haven't done my own mechanical work in years. I found anti-freeze/coolant dripping from my upper radiator hose, When I squeeze it it drips from where the hose meets the upper rad. I guess I should change the hose and the clamps. My question is, does one still add gasket cement to the inside on the hose? How long should the cement dry before checking for leaks? Like I said, it has been a while.

Reply to
rajp53

No cement or other goo needed, just make sure the clamping surfaces are clean which they may not be if coolant has been seeping out from the end of the hose. Use a wirebrush if necessary to clean the residue from where the hose slides on. Also check the radiator itself very carefully, if you have a plastic radiator it is possible that the leak is from a crack in the upper tank or hose outlet. Should that be the case the radiator needs to be replaced.

Reply to
mulder

Hi,

As Mulder said, no goo is required, but if your hoses have those wire clamps the Japanese mfrs seem to love so much, you might have better results with a regular stainless steel screw type clamp. Spreads the pressure over more area and doesn't seem to cut the hose as much IME.

Good luck!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright