Upper rad hose - 2000 Accord 4cyl.

Hi,

I need to replace the upper rad hose on my 2000 Accord (small leak at the housing). Are there any particular issues or precautions in doing this repair? I will be using an OEM hose; are OEM clamps worth it too?

Thanks!

Reply to
aviatorc

check it's the hose, not the radiator. the latter tend to go at about the 10 year mark. and it can get real expensive if you ignore it. blown radiator typically means you'll fry the head gasket, and that costs lotsabucks.

what's wrong with re-using the original clamps? yes, oem are the best fit.

Reply to
jim beam

It's a small drip at the t-stat housing, so definitely not the rad.

Thanks!

Reply to
aviatorc

aviatorc wrote in news:fb3ffc7a-ce88-42b4-bc97- snipped-for-privacy@r28g2000vbp.googlegroups.com:

The thermostat is at the engine end of the LOWER rad hose. Is the leak from the join between the two housing halves, or is it at the hose end?

Anyway, replace BOTH rad hoses, not just the one. Use some fine emery cloth to clean the housing stub of any corrosion. And use a bit of coolant (or spit) as a lube to help the new hose slip on.

Re-use the OEM clamps. They prevent you from wrecking the new hoses, which just about everybody does when using aftermarket screw-type clamps (just a leeetle tighter...).

The lower hose is best replaced by first removing the rad from the car.

Reply to
Tegger