Valve lifter rattle - oil filter?

My 93 Legacy Turbo has had the same valve lifter rattle for the last

10 years, (& +130K miles). I've tried just about everything I can find on the net over the years including removing the valve cover and an oil galley plug to clean. I've read recently that the problem is down to the oil filter which seems to be corroborated by the noise being much less or absent just after an oil change.

What's the advice on a high flow/efficiency oil filter?

Reply to
fopetesl

Hi,

I haven't a clue why some Subies, 'specially many late-'80s/early '90s models, are so grumpy about oil filters, but many have reported their lifter noises disappeared when using OEM filters.

On my '90 Loyale, I'd get zero lifter noise (past just a couple of seconds on a cold start) w/ OEM. Also had good luck w/ Bosch and Wix (NAPA Gold is the same filter in a different box.) Although I've used plain ol' orange Frams (don't start, guys!) for years w/ NO problems in other makes, my Subie would pitch a ring-tailed fit w/ anything from Fram (including the "better" grades.) Lifter noise would go as long as

10 minutes before settling down.

Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil have also produced positive results in these engines for many users. I've used Rislone personally, about every

3rd oil change (near the end of the change cycle, maybe 500 miles to go) and it appeared to get a fair amount of crud out of the engine when I first got the car (209k miles of "less than perfect" maintenance by the original owner) but after two or three treatments, I didn't notice much difference.

Hope something here helps your car...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

I got rid of the noise in my 95 after replacing the o-ring that is located between the oil suction strainer pipe and the engine block.

This required remov> My 93 Legacy Turbo has had the same valve lifter rattle for the last

Reply to
AS

I will try an OEM filter on my 96 Outback and see if it helps. My lifters make such a racket that it is causing the Anti-knock Sensor to freak out, causing the car to chug and hesitate.Runs like crap ;-( So far, every mechanic I take it to says the only fix is to replace the lifters and overhaul the engine...I definitely don't have the money for that! Good luck to you. jimmy

Reply to
jimmy

Hi, Rick. When you say "OEM" filter - is this a brand name? In my business, (electronics), it means Original Equipment Manufacturer. So maybe, you're talking a Subie Filter?

Reply to
fopetesl

I think it's for older soobs than yours - don't remember - BUT there may be a TSB for bad (overly sensitive) knock sensors.

just a vague memory - maybe someone else knows?

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Hi,

Yes, "OEM" means the same in the automotive world as the electronics world, so we'd be talking a Subie "branded" filter. In the US, these have generally been made by Purolator--from visual inspection (and experimenting on my own) I think they're somewhere between the regular "white" Purolator models and the top of line "Pure One" models. I don't know who makes the OEM filters in the rest of the world markets. I believe most mfrs use several vendors to ensure a steady supply stream...

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Thanks, Rick. I'll do some digging and experimentation and let you know what happens.

Reply to
fopetesl