Which Oil Filter for 2004 Forester?

I am very confused regarding which oil filter to use on my 2004 Forester with NO turbo and WITH automatic transmission. The OEM filter installed is the 15208AA080, but I am told that that filter is for the turbo version.

Do I have a turbo and don't know it : - ) Or, is the 080 filter okay for the 2004 auto tranny w/o turbo? Or, should I be using the 38325AA032 filter (supposed to be designated for auto tranny vehicles). This is an American (Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA) vehicle with 2.5L four cylinder engine. Don't know if it is dual or single cam. It does have the stack of washers and the cooling mechanism where the filter is installed.

Thanks for the help and clarification.

Reply to
Jim Knoll

Correct. It's also more expensive. The standard OEM filter sold at US dealers is made by Purolator. The smaller one is made in Japan by Toyo Roki. I don't like the construction of Frams (i.e. cardboard endcaps), but you might be able to use a Fram PH3593A. A better alternative might be a Purolator L14612 or PureOne PL14612. I'd even prefer the Wal-Mart version (made by Champion Labs).

It's just a smaller filter designed for the turbo models. Something about it being desirable to keep the filter further aways from the turbo because of heat or something like that. It's supposed to have the same threading, base size, and bypass pressure. BTW - Subaru says its OK to use the standard size one in turbos, but the smaller one is preferred.

Reply to
y_p_w

Use a Mobil 1 oil filter.

Most importantly it has a 98% single pass efficiency rating for contaminants/particles in the 10 to 20 micron size range. Compare this to

85% efficiency for conventional filters.

In multiple pass testing the Mobil 1 has a rating of 96% vs. 82% for conventional filters.

-Tom

Reply to
TomTom

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Can you provide the url for this testing? Thanks LT

-------------------

Reply to
LT

It's on the Mobil1 site.

-T

It's on the Mobil1 site.

-T

Reply to
TT

Thanks, the specs look impressive. Any other users?

Reply to
LT

Hi,

Before anyone gets all excited and goes ga-ga over the numbers:

The Wally World Super Tech filter claims a single pass efficiency of 98% (SAE HS806) and a multi-pass efficiency of 99% (SAE J1858.) It's made by Champion Labs, maker of both Bosch and Mobil 1 filters among others, and since they conducted the tests, I don't know why they'd fudge the numbers vs their own products.

And... it only costs $1.97 at my local Wally World, vs close to $10 for a Mobil 1. I've used both, and can't say one's better than the other. I personally prefer the Purolator-made Subaru OEM filters--less valve noise, better oil pressure than any others I've used. But that's in MY car. YMMV.

Just something to think about when tossing numbers about. They don't always tell the WHOLE story. Especially the ones with the dollar signs in front of them that some people automatically equate with quality.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Reply to
Edward Hayes

I think 14460 is the part number for the Pure One that's made for the EJ253 (that's right...it's made expressly for these engines. It doesn't have an anti-drainback valve. It doesn't need one, since it's installed vertically with the open end pointing upward.).

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Reply to
Edward Hayes

14460 Threads: M20x1.5 Relief Valve P.S.I.: 20-25 O.D.: 3.15 Height: 2.95 Anti-Drain Back Valve: No 14459 Threads: M20x1.5 Relief Valve P.S.I.: 12-15 O.D.: 3.15 Height: 2.95 Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Nope. No ADBV. I've one sitting here in front of me. It's the same as the OEM, save for the gasket with a rectangular cross section verus round cross section on the OEM.

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Perhaps it isn't needed if the filter is mounted with the base up.

Anyone know where the oil pump is. One purported reason for an anti-drainback valve (regardless of filter mounting arrangement) is to prevent backflow from sending crud trapped in the filter back to the oil pump.

Reply to
y_p_w

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Neither the PL14460 nor the L14460 has an anti-drainback valve. The valve is unnecessary since in all of the applications of these filters (late-model Subarus only), the filter is mounted vertically with the open end pointing upward.

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

That's the bypass valve (if the oil's too viscous or the filter's plugged, it'll allow the flow of oil to bypass the filter element). Anti-drainback valves are usually neoprene (or perhaps silicone rubber?) flaps that deflect to allow oil to flow into the filter under pressure, and cover the inlet holes when there's no oil pressure to prevent the filter from draining.

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Hi,

Are you sure you're not thinking of the bypass valve--that would be metal at the bottom of the can (closed end), where the anti-drainback valve will be a sheet of neoprene-silicone-other rubbery stuff that covers the intake holes of the filter at the base (open end.) AFAIK, all current filters have some kind of a bypass valve, not all the anti-drainback valve.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright