wet weather hesitation

I've got a 97 impreza outback 2.2L, and in wet weather the engine seems to half quit, then revive for a while, then start chugging again. Has anybody experienced this, and if so, what did you do about it?

Thanks, Chris.

Reply to
CRPW

I had a similar problem in a different car. How old are your plug wires? With mine, the wetness caused by rain forced the plug wires to short out. New wires and the problem went away. Performance picked up too.

Reply to
Cam Penner

Funny you bring this up. I'm having this problem on my 99 SUS Ltd. I've had the dealer check before, and they cleaned the IAC valve... no help. If I keep my foot lightly on the pedal at a stop, it's ok, otherwise chugging and stalled one time. After a few miles of driving, it goes away, which leads me to believe the dampness cooks off and all is ok. I just called the dealer this morning since I'm due for a 90K mile checkup and reported that I wanted the cap and wires looked at and possibly have the wires replaced.

Any idea what wires cost on this car?

Reply to
ismlv

the dealer check before, and they cleaned the IAC valve... no

chugging and stalled one time. After a few miles of driving, it

just called the dealer this morning since I'm due for a 90K

possibly have the wires replaced.

Nope. You can try spraying the wires with a fine mist to test to see if that's the problem. Don't soak the wires with a fire hose, but a mist setting should help trace it.

Reply to
Cam Penner

There is no cap to check. TG

"I wanted the cap and wires looked at and possibly have the wires replaced."

had the dealer check before, and they cleaned the IAC valve... no

chugging and stalled one time. After a few miles of driving, it

I just called the dealer this morning since I'm due for a 90K

possibly have the wires replaced.

Reply to
TG

Spark plug wires!

Had the same issue, take a spray bottle with water and spray around the wires in the dark. You should see the arc as you rev the engine OR just change all 4.

Reply to
John