Hyundai Amica Si - hesitation

Well as there is only a tinyyyyyyyyy engine I suppose it hesitates anyway - but this one has only done 15,000 and is a 2000Reg so hardly overworked. When I press the accel pedal, it's as if the engine is switched OFF (for a moment), then it suddenly goes. Can someone please tell me what to check first on this monster of power :) The engine idles perfectly and revs freely without any glitches or missing of any kind.

ps It seems no workshop manual exists for this thing either so I have to guess what's what!

Reply to
dave

I've experienced this on two cars, a Peugeot 406 1800 and a Proton 1500. It manifested as: starting was fine but within the first minute or two of pulling away, when pressing the accelerator, all engine power would disappear for a moment, to return as it nothing had happened. The Proton only ever did it after a cold start but the 406 might do it again a couple of hours later, if driven continuously.

In both (my) cases it was tracked down to a dodgy Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor, on or connected to the inlet manifold.

As a reasonably experienced home mechanic, I changed them myself, each in less than 30 minutes. The new 406 MAP sensor cost me under £50 from GSF. The Proton dealer wanted over £100 for a new one so my local scrapyard let me remove one from one of their less-than-lovely cars for £1...

Same as many cars - an incentive to stay close to your friendly Hyundai dealer!

Reply to
Brad Thrust