What I learned about my '04 OBW

I just discovered a couple of features I had no idea were there, so, for anyone else who does not know about them:

  1. The rear center seatbelt retracts completely out of the way into the roof. There is a small compartment for the belt clips to latch onto.
  2. The rear seat bench folds up forward so that the rear seat backs fold down and latch onto it. This protects the backs of the front seats.
  3. There are seat belt holders in the rear set to hold the receivers when you fold up the seat as descibed above. Thjis keep the seat belt receivers from falling behind the seat.
  4. There is a small strap to pull on to pull the rear seat bench forward as described above.
Reply to
Alan

Yes, nice features, all. AFAIK, they have been included since the 2000 redesign.

Another feature many folks don't know about on the Outbacks (and maybe the Legacy?)is that there is a auxiliary 12v power port hidden away inside the jack compartment in the rear area.

It's silly, but the feature we most like on our new 2003 OBW, compared to our 2001 OBW, is the green-glowing circle around the ignition switch. Makes finding it a lot easier in the dark!

Reply to
Brian Wasson

Thanks. I knew about the extra power port. We had a key light on our 99 Camry, so I would have been very disappointed if the Subie didn't have one. I just wish all of the various controls on the doors were lit.

Reply to
Alan

Does someone know of a way to retrofit one of these? Would be very, very usefull...

Nicolas

Reply to
Nicolas Dore

Except for #1, these features are all in our 99 Outback.

Reply to
L. Kreh

I'll add one more I discovered on my 2002 OB. It has two trip meters.

Adam

Reply to
Adam Helberg

Actually there were over 150 changes from the 99-2000MY

Your salesman did not do his job.!!! I would also suggest that you look in the manual under in case of emergency and familiarize yourself with Towing, the hook behind the panel in the front bumper on the right hand side. how to close Sunroofs, if you have them. How to take the car out of park if the battery or ignition is dead (Tab on the side of the gear lever in an automatic) If putting on the small spare with an automatic, or the AT temp light comes on, you need to put the 30 amp fuse in the FWD slot (remember to remove when serviced)

Marc Soloway Natick Subaru, Natick MA Sales and Leasing.

Reply to
marc

Thanks. I did know about the other items you mentioned. Also the fuse should always be put in when the donut spare is used, from what my manual says (though it doesn't say which amperage to use! I figured the 30 was the right one). I agree that the salesman did not do his job. He barely knew hot to get the OnStar account set up.

Now, here's a few questions... what is the extra space in the jack compartment for? It looks like it could hold a cylinder or can of some kind. Flat tire repair pressurized goo? And why do they mount the spare so you have to take it out to check the air pressure? That was really dumb! Oh, and why not put a switch in the jack compartment to throw the car into FWD. That fuse bit is ill-conceived.

These very minor issues aside, we LOVE this car!

Thanks again!

Reply to
Alan