Finding the Keyless Entry Code on 2002 Mountaineer or Explorer

Whew! I am debating if it would have been worth it to let the dealer get the code for $70? It took me about 2 1/2 hours but that was due largely because the instructions I found were not very accurate on where to locate the CSM (Computer Security Module). If I knew exactly where to start with, I could have completed the job in 20-30 minutes. Here is the shortcut for anybody else to follow:

It is located on the Passenger side on the post behind the rear door and underneath all the plastic trim. I is bolted to the side and is under the lower trim cover.

Step 1 - Pull the rubber door gasket loose from the bottom all around the rear of the door opening and about halfway across the top.

Step 2 - Rotate the two metal clips that are attached to the upper trim piece on the rear of the door opening.

Step 3 - Unsnap the rear clips of the upper trim piece (the one where the seat belt comes out of) by tugging on the rear edge. There are 3 clips in there in the rear.

Step 4 - Unsnap the last clip in the center up high.

Step 5 - Remove the trim piece by pulling the bottom of the piece outward and pulling downward. There is a metal "guide" in the top-front area just above the seat belt opening that you will need to watch.

Step 6 - Now remove the small metal clip that holds the bottom plastic trim piece to the edge of the door opening. It will be down by the bottom of the door opening.

Step 7 - Pull the top of the bottom plastic trim piece out as much as you can to see the CSM bolted to the wall behind it. The CSM will be the black box about 5" wide by 4" tall by 1" deep. You should wedge something in between the trim piece and the metal of the door edge to give you both hands free.

Step 8 - Now that you have both hands free, reach into the CSM and pull up on the bottom of the module to rotate the front up toward you a bit so you can see the label on the front. The 5 digit code will be the last 5 of the numbers underneath a bar code. The 5 digits are grouped out by themselves so you will recognize it.

Step 9 - Now before you put all this trim back, walk around to the driver's side door and try out the code to make sure it works.

Step 10 - Put it all back in reverse order. DONE!

SW

The dealership I work at would get the code for 0.5 hrs labor or $22.50 and in about 15 min!

Reply to
JC

Not sure how that figures into the equation, JC..... You can be sure, however, that if someone is offering a service for too cheap..... everyone will suffer. To exist, a shop needs to earn a profit..... (not wanting to get into a complicated equation...) a shop that offers a "lot" of service for a cheap price can't hope to offer "good" service at the same price.

There are three basic kinds of service 'good', 'cheap' and 'fast'....... pick two....

In case you're wondering.... I don't consider mysaelf Gods gift to car repair.... I am a good tech..... I fix cars.... I fix cars right.... I am recompensed in accordance with my abilities. You don't say what it is you do at your dealership but I get the feeling it's hard to resist the urge to say "ya wanna supersize that?".... yeah, that's facetious..... but I've seen too many shops try to undercut each other and the people that suffer are the consumers....

Jim Warman