What is that SOUND??

Hi, I've got a 95 Subaru Loyale wagon with a rubbing/whining sound from the back right panel by the tire. My mechanic has had it 3 times in the last week and a half. He says he can't diagnose it without hearing the sound himself, which is problematic because the sound comes and goes and he hasn't heard it yet. It's doing it today and sounds like grinding at this point, also. The breaks were replaced last week, so that's not the sound. I've got two small kids that I'm afraid to put into the car..is this familiar to anyone? Is it time for a new car or a new mechanic? Thanks so much,

Allyson snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
ansn223

If this just started after the brakes were worked on then look there first.

Reply to
Edward Hayes

Hi there, no it started before the breaks were done. While looking for the mystery noise, they noticed my back breaks needed to be done so did it then..but the noise existed before. Thank you, though.

Reply to
ansn223

It would be good if you gave us additional information, such as speed at which the noise is present, if it changes while breaking, turning, under load, etc.

In the wife's 95 legacy, there was a rubbing, grinding, creaking noise that could be heard mostly when going at a very low speed.

In our case, the problem ended up being the plastic wheel caps making noise against the wheel. The problem went away after cleaning both the wheels and caps, and lubricating the contact points on the caps.

Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
AS

it feels so inclined) as soon as I put it into drive. It's a loud rubbing type whine (low pitched) that corresponds with the rotation of the back right tire. When it's happened I've creeped along below 20 mph simply because I'm scared to go any faster and possibly blow the Subaru into space with my children in it. When I slow to a stop, the sound winds down as well..sounds like a toy with a dying battery..."whoo whoo whoooo whoooooo whooooooooo". It doesn't change during breaking, turning and the biggest load in the car is me. I love my car, y'all. I don't want it to die.

Reply to
ansn223