Whats with all the WRX ENGINE FIRES?????

I have seen MANY of these on fire the past few months, and boy do they burn hot! Saw one on the offramp of the freeway, rolling to a stop with smoke pouring out of the airscoop. Within minutes the engine compartment was fully engulfed in flames. In about 5 minutes it had burned thru the firewall into the cab and all windows broke out. By the time the fire department arrived the front tires had blown out. It looked like NOTHING survived. The woman driving it said it lost power and started popping, so she pulled off the freeway to see what was wrong. It was a 2004 with that stupid "wing" on the trunk.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

Even for a troll, you aren't a very good one. You can do better than that!

Reply to
Hallraker

Hey, give the bozo points for trying, he's dropped his bait in about 5 or 6 threads so far with no "bites" and he's at least persistent :) I get the impression he doesn't even own one, probably a case of sour grapes. I'm a newcomer to the world of Subarus, just bought my first (2004 TS wagon) in May and have yet to find anything about it I don't like. Keep the stories and tech talk coming, it's always good to read and this NG is what I read every day after checking my email. C

Reply to
Chill

Reply to
res192vu

Reply to
null

I've seen a few car fires, one of them right from the get go. It was an incredibly hot day here considering the usual climate, and any time you get a radical temperature change, vehicles that are borderline under usual conditions will begin to break, sometimes explosively. Such was the case with an entire family in a late 80's GM sedan that burst into flames RIGHT in front of me. I was running to a nearby payphone to call for help when a guy in a Lincoln screeched to a halt right there, cell phone ready. The police were there in moments, followed by the FD a couple minutes later. I think they blaze only lasted 5 minutes total, and the fire was nowhere near the passenger compartment by that time.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

There were some problems with folks who modified their WRX exhaust with wrapped headers and up pipes which would collect oil and burst into flames. But this can happen to lots of cars if not maintained right. Here's a Camry on fire I passed last fall.

Alan Peterman