Wheel bearing bad?

Hi All, I've got a 1999 Forester w/117k miles. I'm noticing a growling noise originating from the rear of the car when it is in motion. The noise is strongest at ~38mph and again has a harmonic ~70mph. The noise is new to me: it began in the last 300 miles, during particularly cold weather. I've had the car since it had 72k miles. The overall volume of the noise is increasing. Is this symptomatic of a failing wheel bearing? Thanks very much!

Reply to
Stefan

Sounds like wheel bearings. This is a common problem also - I had my rear wheel bearings replaced before 100K kilometres. Probably plenty of threads in the archives. Symptoms are that the noise is the same on accelerate or decelerate. It's worth considering tyres as a possibility.

Cheers

Reply to
David Coggins

Could it be the rear differential? Have you checked the fluid level or changed it in the time you have had the car? Sparky

Reply to
Steve Parker

Could certainly be a wheel bearing. Get it in soon. If the bearing fails completely and explodes, it can take out a bunch of crpa with it. I knew someone who ignored wheel bearing unhappy noises and the thing finally shattered and took out nearly $1000 worth of ABS brake components on that wheel....

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Yes. I have replaced both sides on my 2000 Forester (with much less mileage). Subaru went to roller bearings in 2001 because of high failures. Your description matches my symptoms. sigh...

Reply to
D&SW

you're probably right, but i had a problem that sounded very much like a bad wheel bearing (to the dealership mechanic), but turned out to be loose lug nuts - all 10 on the right side (believe it or not!) were only finger-tight. and i was on a road trip more than 500 highway miles from home.

Reply to
tom klein

I hear you about the loose lug nuts. I once did have all five on one wheel a little loose. I started to sense it as a vague shimmy accompanied by a growling noise. I first thought "bearing", until the effect progressed to a more definite wobble. Glad I figured that one out when I did.

As for the wheel bearing: I'm the originator of this thread. I had the bearing on the right rear of the car recently replaced by a mechanic I found in the cartalk.com mechanic finder. I was impressed by the mechanic and the shop. The price was in line with what I'd come to expect: ~$325. I'm very happy to say that the particular noise I associated with "bearing" is gone.

Thanks, everyone, for your helpful suggestions and your support!