Wheel bearing replacement

Hi, I've got a 96 Ranger 2wd 137,000 miles, that's making an intermittant whining noise when rolling, not affected by application of brakes or by motor revs. We've checked the brakes, nothing is rubbing or loose, in fact we replaced the front shoes just because we had access at the time. I am guessing the whine is a bearing, and it seems to be a rear wheel or axle bearing. Anybody have experience changing these out? The Chilton book makes the wheel bearing look like far less of a project than the axle bearing, is there a way to tell for sure what the problem is, besides taking things apart and looking? Any hints or advice before I get into the project? James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Hdgdn

mark schofield

There, see that's why this group is so great. I never thought of that, and it's such a simple thing to try before spending all that time and energy on what may be an unnecessary repair. I'll try that and report on what happens, thanks! James F. Hodgdon Jr. Hodgdon Scale Models

Hdgdn