Wheel bearings

I never had to change the wheel bearings on my '94 Honda Accord, approaching 350 K miles. I wonder how good are those bearings on
Subarus. On my previous cars (VW and GM) they always had to be replaced periodically.
On 11/24/2018 6:35 PM, cameo wrote:

Probably too many variables to say that "wheel bearings on X car will last for Y miles". I had a rear wheel bearing go bad on a Fiat (yeah, I know) in <10K miles but I've never had one fail in various cars I've driven in 100K+. The only actual "repair" I had to perform on my 2008 Outback in 110k was to replace a torn CV joint boot and I didn't have to do even that much on my MX5 Miata in 120K. So that answer is, flip a coin and hope that you got a good one.
On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 7:41:02 AM UTC-8, John McGaw wrote:

Also, has to do with the type of driving . High speed with lots of cornering in the mountains is sure to wear bearings. I've replaced several rear wheel bearings in 130k miles (on a 2000 Impreza L) but my mountainous driving style is terrible for bearings (driving fast in corners, accelerating uphill, etc).
In more normal driving they should last a Subaru 100k easily, if not much more.
Basia
On Sunday, November 25, 2018 at 2:16:34 PM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Fast in turns, should have said.
Older Imprezas before 2002 I think, had the crappy ball bearings, the newer models have different roller type bearings. These are much better. Older Outbacks and Legacies never had the crappy ball bearings, ...only Imprezzas got them.

Basia
On 11/26/2018 1:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

From what I heard from old Honda fans, those cars are made with special wheel bearings that never need replacement or new grease. Basically they last the life of the car. I don't understand how they can make it that way but I am not complaining.
I'm at 69K miles on Subaru #5. I've run two previous Subaru's over 200K miles and have never replaced a wheel bearing. CVJ boots, yeah: Rubber doesn't last forever especially in mile-high Colorado.
On 2018-11-25 22:16:32 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net said:

On 11/30/2018 7:30 AM, Ben Jammin wrote:

Good to know. CV boot replacement is not as expensive as ball bearing.
My local independent Subaru shop uses remanufactured CV joints with new rubber boots. I've never had a problem with a replacement CV joint. My two bad wheel bearing were both on well-maintained U.S.-made light trucks, one GMC and one Dodge. You'd think a truck wheel bearing would last longer than a Subaru bearing ...
On 2018-12-01 00:24:27 +0000, cameo said:

Site Timeline