Wheel bearings

I never had to change the wheel bearings on my '94 Honda Accord, approaching 350 K miles. I wonder how good are those bearings on Subarus. On my previous cars (VW and GM) they always had to be replaced periodically.

Reply to
cameo

Probably too many variables to say that "wheel bearings on X car will last for Y miles". I had a rear wheel bearing go bad on a Fiat (yeah, I know) in

Reply to
John McGaw

Also, has to do with the type of driving . High speed with lots of cornering in the mountains is sure to wear bearings. I've replaced several rear wheel bearings in

130k miles (on a 2000 Impreza L) but my mountainous driving style is terrible for bearings (driving fast in corners, accelerating uphill, etc).

In more normal driving they should last a Subaru 100k easily, if not much more.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

Fast in turns, should have said.

Older Imprezas before 2002 I think, had the crappy ball bearings, the newer models have different roller type bearings. These are much better. Older Outbacks and Legacies never had the crappy ball bearings, ...only Imprezzas got them.

Basia

Reply to
abjjkst

From what I heard from old Honda fans, those cars are made with special wheel bearings that never need replacement or new grease. Basically they last the life of the car. I don't understand how they can make it that way but I am not complaining.

Reply to
cameo

Reply to
Ben Jammin

Good to know. CV boot replacement is not as expensive as ball bearing.

Reply to
cameo

Reply to
Ben Jammin