Extended Warranty

Hi,
Any help with the following would be appreciated.
I have a 2017 Outback. I'm thinking about getting an extended warranty.
My dealer only sells third party warranties, but I'm thinking that the factory warranty would be a better idea.
What is the best way to buy one? I recall hearing, some years ago, that it was possible to shop around the country to find the dealer willing to make the best deal -- and it's all the same Subaru Factory Warranty.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Rick

Keep your money in your wallet, guy. You bought a very reliable car. Chances of saving anything on possibly needed repairs well in the future are slim.
--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen” victim tragedy
stories in the news?

I'll second that.
--
John Varela

On 1/10/2019 9:53 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:

I would generally agree and I thought 5 year drive train warranty would cover major repair expense. Unfortunately the expensive electronics in today's cars can approach that of a drive train repair and that warranty is only 3 years. Makes it tougher to decide but extended warranties are still a profit item for those that sell them.
On 1/20/19 2:56 PM, Frank wrote:

Contemporary electronics generally either fail during the first few uses....or last close to forever.
--
Have you ever looked into a mirror and thought…hell no, that can’t be right…

On 1/20/2019 3:10 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

That's also true. I mentioned in ng once that a few years ago my son had a BMW whose center console failed under warranty. Would have cost him $3,000 other wise.
On 1/20/19 6:35 PM, Frank wrote:

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong- but that's the way to bet ;-)
--
Have you ever noticed that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot
and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?

That's always been true, and not just for electronics. Manufacturing defects and substandard materials generally fail early ("early" varying according to what device we're talking about). This is called "infant mortality". Then the item typically has a long period of reliable performance until wear and tear cause the failure rate to increase. A graph of failure rate versus time is usually a U-shaped curve.
Nothing in the above should be construed to mean that failures will not occur after the infant mortality period. It is just that they become muchmore unlikely.
The fact that someone is making money by selling those warranties should be a cautionary note.
Just last night we were out driving and saw a car abandoned by the side of the road. This caused me to notice how seldom we see a breakdown on the side of the road these days. A car on the shoulder with the hood up used to be commonplace 50 or 60 years ago. I've been there myself a few times.
--
John Varela

On 1/20/2019 1:56 PM, Frank wrote:

The 6 CD player in my 2007 OBS failed during the warrant period and was replaced. When it failed again, after the warranty expired, I didn't bother to replace it.
David
https://www.avg.com
On 1/27/2019 11:48 AM, David R. Birch wrote:

Some electronics you cannot do without. I recall maybe 30 years ago a woman had a Buick where the speedometer and other gauges was a display and it failed. No problem driving the car with it not working but you did not know how fast you were going.

Buy glass coverage on your insurance policy. You'll thank me for this advice in due time.
Basia