wheel bearings

Have 1998 Forester. Have replaced wheel bearings 5 times and just told right rear needs to be replaced again.

Anyone else having this type of issue?

Reply to
dba
5 times, Oh wow... The wheel bearings preload is given when tightening the axle nut... are yours being overtorqued, undertorqued? Are you getting dealer bearings? Is the alignment correct? Is the car being abused, misused? Has it been the same mechanic every time?

Good luck!

dba wrote:

Reply to
AS

Hi, Happend 3 times between two my00 Impreza.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It 'was' easy to get the same, poor, bearings instead of the legacy-style roller bearings. I THINK new stock should be 'good'.(where's that Steve guy the sube tech?)

There also have been issues with determining whetehr the grease that is shipped in the bearings should be replaced.

PLUS - it is evidently VERY easy to install them improperly. make sure whoever installs them has the proper equipment.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I'm here! Just getting over a family tragedy, loss of my brother, so internet hasn't been important lately. in our shop, almost no returns on wheel bearings and we haven't had round bearings as a replacement part in years. over torquing could be a culprit.

Reply to
StephenW

My sympathies on the loss of your brother. I hope that you have support in this sad time.

Reply to
Fred Boer

Of course we couldn't have known of your family's tragedy. I hope everyone will be OK in time.

Carl

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Time will heal, but it will be slow. it was so unexpected. He was only a year older than I (46) and retired from the AF 8 years ago. I found him, untreated ulcers can kill... Thanks for your kind thoughts. Steve

Reply to
StephenW

Thank you... Steve

Reply to
StephenW

The net has many benefits, and extends our networks far, and connects us. We can get info plus support in troubling times. Life is sometimes short, so enjoy it while you can.

VF

Reply to
houndman

Excuse my late response.

First, it seems there can be many install issues. How the heck do I determine if someone is capable of a good install? What about over tightening? Is there special equipment needed?

Steve, you mention a 'round bearing'. Do not know what that means. Any help?

Sad to hear about your brother. It is especially sad when a family member leaves.

StephenW wrote:

Reply to
dba

Hi, Who did the job? Bearing install has specific procedure per shop manual. Also there are El Cheapo bearings of Chinese origin. Installing OEM bearings?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

They also should be replaced in pairs.

Reply to
JD

Why is this? My Forester has just been for its service and the report says there is play in the nearside rear bearing, which needs to be replaced. I asked the service manager and he said it wasn't necessary to replace the other one.

Reply to
Stewart

I seek another opinion. If they are worn unevenly, play in the older one can cause wear in the newer one and they may fail prematurely.

Reply to
JD

That is news to me. Bearing assembly is replaced when is is bad. Uneven wear? You mean both side has to wear in identical manner? I think not. Everything has aloowed tolerance. Most bearing failure is due to contamination when seal is compromised. In old days I used clean/pack wheel bearings a lot.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I'm not a mechanic, but it was always explained to me that they should be relaced in pairs and the above is why. Granted, it was mechanics that explained to me and I haven't looked into it any further. Interestingly enough, when I was too cheap to replace them in pairs, they tended to fail much sooner than expected. Whenever they were replaced in pairs, they genrally last as long as the OEMs did. It is annectdotal though.

Reply to
JD

Not these days, as Tony says. Just replace the bad bearings, no need to replace in pairs. They're not like struts or shocks, where one affects the other.

Reply to
KLS

And remeber, the bearing set that is replaced is the entire bearing assembly for that wheel, for those who are thinking it is set up like the old repackable sets.

Reply to
StephenW

The original bearings in the forester were round bearings, they have changed them to tapered bearings.

Reply to
StephenW