When To Replace Battery?

I've never been very good at predicting battery failure. But most times it will give you some hints. Like cranking real slow in the morning. But even then, giving it a full charge may rejuvenate it. For a while. You've got the advantage is that the battery is weakest when it's coldest. So if it will start the car in the morning, it's highly likely it will start it in the afternoon.

Also, if the battery has even been run down, it will shorten its life. I've lost batteries is a little as 90 days because I kept forgetting to turn the lights off.

I've also had some catastrophic failures. Car started right up on a warm summer day. After parking for three hours, the battery was completely dead and totally shot. So much for advanced warning.

For expected life, look at the warranty. Than take 80% of that.

Reply to
Kurt Krueger

Hi,

Not only do "hot country" batteries not last very long (worst case I've seen: Sears didn't make ANY money selling my brother in law a DieHard for his work truck when he lived and worked between Phoenix and Tucson! IIRC, they replaced either 3 or 4 batteries under warranty in five years), IME they're more likely to just "drop dead" on you than those from milder climates. Nothing quite as fun as getting up in the morning, firing up the car like nothing's wrong, then shutting it off some time later, and finding the battery gave up while it was waiting for you!

Carrying jumper cables is not only good practice, but I've never had a battery quit on me while I had cables in the vehicle! Ok, so it sounds silly, but I swear it's true!

Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

"Johnson Controls" is somewhat of a house brand for W.W. Grainger. They are one of those "has everything" industrial supply places.

Reply to
nobody >