When to replace corolla tires

How much can you drive a Toyota corolla before you need to replace the tires? My car is mostly driven in city or on freeways, always on good roads. The car now has 59,000+ miles on it. I bought it used in 2003 when it had 35,000 miles on it. I don't know when the previous owner replaced the tires.

Also a local brand tire costs almost half that of a well known brand like Bridgestone. If I drive only on freeway, or good roads, how much does the tire quality matter? I almost never take the car on dirt roads, and usually don't drive above 60 either.

Reply to
black_corolla

Take a look at this National Highway Transportation Safety Administration brochure and all of your questions will be answers. Google is your friend!

-- Mike Harris Austin, TX

Reply to
Mike Harris

As Dr. Harris said, it is not a guessing game. There are specific legal and practical matters here.

Mr. Lincoln will come in handy, as will Mr. Jefferson. If you don't like the source Dr. Harris suggested, an alternative is:

timbirr

The same as any vehicle, look at the tread wear. Also look for side wall cracking, which will happen with age.

Was there wear on them when you got it? You don't have as much fear of stone flats, but road junk and traction is a factor.

I don't consider Bridgestone a more than average. For many years my choice has been Michelin. I usually change them at about 65,000 miles, even though there is enough tread for a few more years. I drive in winter conditions, so I want significant tread. Tires and brakes are the most important part of your vehicle.

Reply to
Just Facts

Need to definately replace the when the molded in wear bars are flush with the rest of the tread. Yup scrimp on tires --- especailly if someone else drive it.

Reply to
Wolfgang

When the tire tread depth is 2/32" (2 mm) or less on any 2 adjacent grooves, the tires need to be replaced. Also replace if the wear bars are visible, if there are any cracks, blisters, or bumps in the tread or sidewall

Reply to
Ray O

If you ever experience a blowout such as I had on Interstate 10 in Arizona twelve years ago, when a rear tire blew and sent the car (and a U-Haul trailer!) careening from one side of the highway to the other about five times before I could bring it to a stop, you would not even ask your question, but go out and buy the best tires you could afford. Tires are the only things between your car and the road, so if it's a hardship to get re-tired, just suck it up and eat macaroni for a month. Don't worry that you don't drive over 60....I was driving under 60 at the time of the blowout, and I'm still scared just thinking about it. Buy the tires!

Reply to
mack