Re: When to replace brakes

I replaced brakes on all 4 wheels at 60K. I think you have to consider mileage more than time. James1549

Reply to
James1549

Wesley Thiessen

Indeed.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

When do you know when the rear brakes need replacing since they don't squeal?

Reply to
Frank

I had my brakes worked on about a year and a half ago at the time they were over 6 years old and had around 85k on them. The shop recommended the work and though I was not having any problems with them I knew 85k miles had to be pushing their limits and decided to go ahead and have them replaced.

I have friends who drive other (non Saturn) cars and have trouble getting

30k miles out of their brakes. How much of that difference between them and me is due to quality of materials or driving habits I don't know.

Mark.

Reply to
Zaphod

State Inspection? Taking a quick look while rotating tires works too.

Pete Geurds Douglassville, PA

Reply to
Pete Geurds

in article Vn%Wa.11749$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com, Frank at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote on 8/2/03 11:33 PM:

I replaced my front pads on my 94 SL-1 at around 30K. I just hit 90 K and I'm still on those pads and the original rear pads. I keep expecting the wear bars to start screeching (or my 3rd alternator to fail ) at any time.

Reply to
Ron Herfurth

I just replaced the front pads on my 1998 SW2 for the first time and my tires for the second time. I also did the serpentine belt for the first time.

I'm at 90k miles.

I've replaced the PCV valve at least 6 times and the wiper blades and windshield once.

That's about it. It still runs like a champ. I love this car.

I'm still on my original alternator and battery, but I think I'll do the battery before this winter just to be on the safe side.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan