Where can I get Outback fog light covers?

Anyone know where one can get covers for foglights on a 2005 Outback in Canada?

These vulnerable lights don't seem to serve any useful purpose apart from generating income for Subaru when they get broken, which will probably happen the first time I drive on sanded highways this coming winter.

Reply to
teekaynospam

I think (my $.02) it'll be better if you install one of these:

I didn't try it yet but I read an article on the web where this guy explains step-by-step process how to install it on Outback fog lights (2002 model I believe it was).

I'd go to local auto-glass shop and/or retail car parts store (e.g. Canadian Tire, Lordco, Napa...(BC/Alberta region though)

Good luck.

Voja

snipped-for-privacy@worldtel.com wrote:

Reply to
Voja

Thanks, I had wondered about that clear stuff but was hoping to get some neat covers with "Subaru" on them that I had seen somewhere.

Reply to
teekaynospam

I. for one, would not own a car without fog lights. While they are more useful in here in Colorado for use in snow storms, I would not trade them for a thousand dollars after making a huge difference in my getting there.

I will admit those lights are vulnerable and need better protection like a cover.

-BillRadio

Reply to
Bill Radio

But what do they do for you apart from making you a bit more visible to oncoming traffic?

I have tried mine at night and they don't throw any light forward more than about ten feet from the car, unlike "real" foglights that I have used in Europe that throw a powerful, shallow, fan-shaped beam (often amber color) low down close to the ground under the fog (theoretically).

Reply to
teekaynospam

I would prefer that the headlights could be disabled when using the fog lights, but the advantage is being able to see the edge of the road. Any light thrown forward is wasted. I need to see that I am still on the road, and normal headlights do nothing but illuminate the snow right in front of you, keeping you from seeing the road itself.

Subarus, with their plastic-covered lights do easily gather frozen slow on their covers, dimming the headlights somewhat and making the fog (snow) lights more useful. Unfortunately, the fog lights are recessed so deeply, snow can accumulate in them just as easily. And those 'semi' grilles only add to the problem. But they're better than not having them and saves me the trouble of adding aftermarket lights below the bumper which get banged up a lot worse.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Radio

It's not "waisted", Bill. In a heavy fog or snowfall it comes back and hits you square in the eyeballs. That's why fog lights are mounted low, to prevent that. My complaint is that they are white and not yellow. Yellow penetrates further into fog/snow and isn't nearly as blinding.

Don

Reply to
Don.

I actually find them useful in snowstorms.

When it's not snowing, they do little.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

The great advantage of yellow lights in my experience is illuminating an asphalt road on a rainy night. The difference is astounding. Here in western Washington rain is more frequent than snow ... I'm looking for a can of Krylon Stained Glass spray paint in yellow, to simply paint the lenses.

Reply to
John Rethorst

They seem to do a lot for the guy on my tail who uses them snow/fog or no. All I get out of the deal is blinded.

Reply to
Henry Paul

Rockblocker has yellow film that you stick on the fogs like tint.

Definitely makes a difference. I agree with you on the benefits in the rain! It also aides in other motorists seeing you in bad weather (snow/rain), which is sometimes just as important.

CW

Reply to
CW

Keep in mind that any yellow cover you put over lights is reducing their intensity by blocking the visible blue end of the spectrum. Some yellow covers will still let a fair bit of UV thru, so technically wouldn't be as effective. Your eyes will resolve UV as bluish haze, which is why yellow is effective. Green may even be better as that's the colour our eyes are most sensitive to - and they are fairly insensitive to red...

If changing your fog lights to yellow ones, you may find more wattage is required...

Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply) Video & Gaming:

Gadgets