Amusing Forester story

My mom is the proud owner of a '99 Forester S. Today she left for work on her usual 30 mile commute, and hit the freeway at 70+ all the way there. When she got out of work and returned to her car, she saw something on the roof. It was someone's notebook! Thinking that someone had dropped it near her car and another person had set it on her roof thinking it was hers, she opened it to see what was inside.

It was full of CDs. My brother's CDs to be exact. He had borrowed the car for a trip to a Detroit Tigers game, and when he got back he must have set it on the roof and forgot about it.

So she drove all the way to work with his CD notebook sitting between the rear crossbar and the plastic guard above the hatch, and it stayed there the entire time. :) Now that's a smooth ride!

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

And for the entire trip, people kept giving her the "thumbs up" and shouting "Roof!" :^)

Reply to
Danny Russell

shouting "Roof!" :^)

I asked her about that and she told me that she didn't see anyone doing anything. That seems likely as well, since we're all aware that most people on the road aren't paying attention to anything but their cell phone and latte.

I did the same thing with a can of pop a few weeks back. Set it on the roof and then started climbing my steep as heck driveway. It didn't make it very far, maybe 10 feet up and I heard it hit the back window. :)

Several years ago I saw two young women drive out of the gas station with their gas cap open. Only, fuel was sloshing out of their Blazer and onto the road. I pulled alongside of them and shouted "Gas cap!" They were probably annoyed that a High School kid was trying to flirt with them or whatever the heck they thought, and flipped me off as they sped away, fuel going everywhere. I wonder how far they got...

And then another time I saw a lawn and garden service truck going down the road with their trailer wide open. Rakes, shovels, and other tools were shooting out of the trailer like it was some kind of missle launcher. I pulled up to them and shouted "TRAILER DOOR! RAKES AND SHOVELS!" and the driver was like "OH SH*T!" :) At least they pulled over.

Reply to
Hallraker

Were they good gardners and made sure the heavy duty rake fell on the road with the tynes down? You are lucky you didn't hit something and get a flat. That is a funny story!!! ROTFL

Reply to
Don.

We had a "on top of old Forester" story of sorts. We were going to Albuquerque from Santa Fe (70 miles) and taking a bunch of electronic parts/equipment to an organized electronic co-op sale. Someone put a box of 8.5x11 fan fold computer paper on top the Forester. The box had no top. Got on the fwy and about 2 miles later the paper started unfolding as nice as you please. Someone high signed us before the box emptied. Took us about 10 minutes to gather up all the paper with a Hwy Patrollman helping us. Do you know how much paper comes out of a 12" tall box? More than one armfull!!!

Reply to
Don.

Speaking of the old fan fold printer paper reminded me of a funny story.

At work, I was lifting a cage full of computers and associated gear into a multi-story telephone exchange on an electric hoist - included in the gear was a full, open box of fan fold paper.

Half way up - you guessed it - the wind caught the end of the paper and it started to cascade out of the box and down 40 feet to the ground like a toilet roll unwinding. Totally helpless!! I didn't know which way to take the cage - up or down!!

Went down again, but by the time I got it to the ground, the whole box was empty - it sure made a BIG pile of paper, and we spent quite a long time fitting it back into the box!!! Talk about laugh!!

Dave

Reply to
David Coggins

Some years ago I was at a horse show in Kansas and was packing up to leave and put a 100-year old pair of silver Mexican spurs in the bed of my pickup. I didn't have a tailgate and, of course, the spurs fell out and were lost. I didn't notice their loss untill about a week later when getting ready for another show.

When I got to the show a fellow I had never met came over to me and handed me the spurs. He had found them the previous week and asked around and determined that they were mine. I still have those spurs and that stranger is, 35 years later, one of my best friends. We were partners in business for over 30 years until I retired.

Reply to
Ray

That's a neat one. Somehow it should be put where more people can read about a "success with life".

Reply to
Don.

Hehehe. I can see it all happening now. Amazement, panic, hillarity; one emotion following another. I didn't get to see ours unfolding off the car until the last dozen sheets. It was all panic, including gathering it off the freeway with cars going by at 75mph + just a few feet away!

You had the view of a lifetime!!! ;-)

Reply to
Don.

I remember that folded paper. I've still got a box of it here somewhere. I had a box of the wide carriage type with the green lines, but I have no clue where that went. :) I still remember fussing with it when it would tear off unexpectedly and stop printing. doh!

Reply to
Hallraker

Is this a good time for an unhappy story?

snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com.com (Kevin=A0T) wrote

The DANGER of this was dramatically brought home last week here in my city. A woman had a flat and stopped on a Sunday 8/22 on a very busy, very curvy section of urban freeway (I-94 between Minneapolis and St. Paul.) A 17 year old man stopped to change her tire. Another car hit the car, which ended up on top of the two people. Traffic came to a halt, and traffic cameras caught dramatic footage of bystanders tipping the car up to release the two trapped people. The woman survived, the young man did NOT.

I'm having second thoughts about where I will stop to change a tire...

Pete

Reply to
P T

So I assume he didn't hafe to pull those out of his windshield before he returned them to you.:)

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

As well you should.

Reply to