Why low profile tires on top 2005 Outback?

On checking the specs for tires on the Outback 2.5i compared to the

3.0R, they are 225/60 compared to 225/55, meaning a difference of almost 1/2" in sidewall depth.

With 17" rims on the 3.0R and 16" on the 2.5i I assume the rolling radius is about the same.

My question is: surely it's an advantage for a vehicle with any off-road pretensions to have the "deeper" tires so that running over a rock (or a curb) will not so easily dent the rim and maybe break the seal causing a flat.

So are the low profile type of tires purely for cosmetic reasons (although personally I dislike the look) or is there some practical advantage?

Reply to
teekaynospam

The practical reason is handling...better handling with the-low pros. Subarus have no "off road pretensions" that I'm aware of. Just more capability on road in all weather conditions. Taking any Sub off road will tear it up. TG

Reply to
TG

If you ask me, it depends on the type of "off-roading" done. While surely Subarus are not intended for rock-crawling, they are intended for rough, untamed back roads. The appeal of a Subaru is having a vehicle that can tackle any road that might still be considered a road, while still maintaining a great degree of handling on "good" roads.

Probably the worst road I've had the pleasure of taking on a regular basis is actually my friend's driveway. It's a mostly mud path across a floodplain, and there can be as much as three feet of standing water on it. Obviously, I don't drive through then, but I've driven through with water almost to my intake. Normally though it's just muddy and torn up, with big ruts and sometimes large rocks. It's about 3/4 of a mile long, and the Subaru has no problems on it. And that's with a '95 Outback - no lift kit! :)

And let's not forget the oldies - the 4x4 Subies were even better on the rough stuff, especially when equipped with big lifts and giant tires. :)

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

The 04 owners manual discusses driving off road. I've done fire roads/ sand roads with no problems. An outback is as off road capable as an explorer or any of the soccer mom suv's out there

Reply to
busterb

#1 - Bottom line: Consumers think low-profs on larger rims are cool. Automaking is a consumer driven industry.

#2 - 17" with 225/60's on a 17" rim will scuff the wheel wells on bumps (my 2.5i with 16's fits close enough).

#3 - On road corner handling is improved (less sidwall rolling on cornering) with low-profs.

#4 - 17" with 225/60 would reduce the accelleration (inertia) performance.

I prefer the "more sidewall - less rim" approach as the ride is smoother.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thanks, that sums it all up very well, and I don't think low profile tires on an Outback look cool at all.

Reply to
teekaynospam

And probably 80% of "offroad" or rough terrain driving is the driver, not the vehicle, anyway.

Reply to
CompUser

Driving on dirt roads is not driving off road.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo