Why low-profile fuses?

What is the advantage of ATM low-profile fuses over ATM non-low-profile? In situations where there is room for the bigger ones.

My Toyota uses low profile mini ATM (?) fuses more than any other kind, maybe 30 of them, with a plastic wall around them so that only an esepcially narrow fuse puller can get in. They include a 1" long fuse removal tool but it's hard to use. It's impossible to use for the fuses behind the dash, which area couple in inches behind the dash, and my hand is too big to get through the hole to the fuse panel.

Why does Toyota set it up like that? It seems stupid.

I have a 3" fuse removal tool and I was goting to make it narrow enough to get at the fuses, but the part that grabs the fuse are two "fingers", at each end, rather than one wide finger, so if I narrow the thing, it means cutting off one finger.

It seems to me I should replace all the low-profile with regular.mini fuses instead of waiting until a winter night to do this.

Reply to
micky

is this a serious question? do you understand basic [manufacturer] economics and how many of those things toyota have to buy each year? surely it's obvious that smaller = less material = cheaper. basic fuses like these are not exactly high tech.

byw, how many are you expecting to replace each year? all the fuses in my 22 year old civic are original. i can't see why you'd be worried about replacing them if they're not blown. and if they are, replacing the fuse is last on the list - finding the cause is the first priority.

Reply to
jim beam

I fiddle around with things, and blow more fuses than most people do.

I can fairly eaisely imagine blowiing one late on a modersately warm afternoon that turns into a cold night and 3 cold days that follow.

Reply to
micky

I fiddle around with things, and blow more fuses than most people do.

I can fairly eaisely imagine blowiing one late on a modersately warm afternoon that turns into a cold night and 3 cold days that follow.

Reply to
micky

that is a competency issue, not a "fiddling" issue. if you're not competent, stay away from the guts of this vehicle until you are. practice on something that doesn't matter and that you don't drive often.

get a second vehicle. if it's a clunker, you can practice on it. if you screw up the toyota, you can drive the clunker.

Reply to
jim beam

Don't worry. That's why God gave us fuses.

LOL

Reply to
micky