Why two air filters?

Hi, this is my first subaru(Impreza 1999) and there is two air filters. Why all this restriction? Is it really necessary? Can i take out one of them?

Jean

Reply to
Johnny

Edward Hayes

Reply to
X-Eliminator

Impreza sold in the area of Montreal QC Canada. "X-Eliminator" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Johnny

Is there actually a filter in each box? I thought one of them (probably the forward-most) is supposed to be empty.

Rick

Reply to
rick

No filters on each. "rick" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Johnny

In the 2.2l 1999 Impreza in Canada it should have one air filter in the first airbox. The second air box is empty.

"Johnny" a écrit dans le message de news:kz9vc.28$ snipped-for-privacy@charlie.risq.qc.ca...

Reply to
Philippe Javaux

Second box = beside the throttle body? "Philippe Javaux" a écrit dans le message de news: sRmvc.97748$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Johnny

Reply to
X-Eliminator

Mine have 2 air filters. for real. 99Forester L (Canadian)

1 really big filter by the firewall/throttle body. 1 smaller filter (regular rectangular sized) by the passenger side fender.

Interesting. So, in most cases, you guys/gals have 1 empty box?? How 'bout Subarus in Oz?

A little off topic here... with reduced Air Flow restriction, do you get better high end power OR does it improve all around driving? What does it do to gas mileage? I'm thinking of removing 1 filter.

Leo inToronto

Reply to
99Red_Forester

Aussie Imprezas (non turbo) have one air filter, next to the throttle body.

Cheers

Shane Canberra

Reply to
Shane Brittle

Thanks for the reply. OK. I'm removing the smaller filter.

Leo

Reply to
99Red_Forester