WRX Manual Vs Automatic

Hi folks,

I commute alot and am considering the purchase of a wrx. I test drove a manual this Saturday and loved it. Unfortunately my commute revolves alot around Downtown LA and most of it is bumper traffic. As much as I love stick, I know it will eventually catch up with me and get fed up. I was wandering from those who are relatively experienced: Am I missing out BIG TIME if I go with automatic??

The sales guy who races told me infact that the automatic is much faster than the manual, as nobody can shift fast enough. Also, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears can be employed exactly as if were manual.

I am planning on the purchase of a 2004 model, and was wandering where is the best place to go an look for used one. How much is the rock bottom price a dealer would let me go out the door for with an automatic. My budget is $20k. and not a penny more.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote in news:9YOFb.15839$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I don't think you'd be able to get away with under 20K for a brand new

2004, especially as an automatic. I'm an automatic driver, own a 2003 Baja, and from what i've noticed in my region(new england), automatic WRX's aren't as commonly found on lots as are manual's since its a big part of their draw. As a result, they aren't hard to move, since demand outweighs supply.

I'd suggest looking on ebay and the various other online sites for a

2003 automatic that a dealer or private owner wants to get rid of. Also naturally check your local dealers for 03's as well.
Reply to
LeBernadin

Rule #1 Never trust a car salesman.

Reply to
Ian Firth

Rob,

I have a 02 WRX wagon manual and absolutely love it. Granted it is a car that has to be "Driven", being sloppy with the tranny and clutch is obviously felt in the ride. I have not used it much in LA style traffic, but have taken it through San Jose and SF a few times. Not anywhere near commuting with it though.

I have not driven an automatic version of the WRX but from what I have read over the last 2 years, I "HIGHLY" doubt the auto is anywhere near the manual. From what I read the turbo is barely used in the auto unless you Really step on it and then you still have to wait for the tranny to catch up. Sounds like the sales guy was looking for an extra 1000$ for the auto version.

If your not super focused on the 04 model it is easy to find a 02 or 03 for under 20K. I like the design of the 02-03 over the 04 anyway, but many people will disagree with me.

If you are considering a WRX, and from the tone of your post, it sounds like you enjoy a little "spirited" driving. In my opinion you would be missing out with the auto in this respect.

Ed

Reply to
Edward Arata

Why not get a manual Rex for weekends and a cheap, cheerful old banger for commuting. If you really must have a new auto, get a differrent sort of car; ie. one with a big engine, no turbo and bags of low down torque.

David Betts snipped-for-privacy@motorsport.org.uk

Reply to
David Betts

Auto faster - load of rubbish.

Auto is 4 speed where manual is 5 for a start so you figure it out.

Reply to
Jiz
  1. No 2004 WRX for k
  2. in heavy stop-n-go, get the AUTO
  3. auto=slower, more turbo lag

consider another car or a used car.

Reply to
CW

You get used to it. Besides, in bumper to bumper traffic working the clutch with a manual isn't any worse than having to keep your foot on the brake with an automatic.

I was wandering from those who are relatively

Yes.

Excuse me but this is bullshit.

If you ever find a 2004 at this price let me know where!

Reply to
powertrain
3rd > gears can be employed exactly as if were manual. >
Reply to
William Lee

Nonsense. It's much easier to keep an engine "on the boil" when you can manually select the gear ratio.

I routinely drive in stop-and-go traffic with a manual (and have for years). It's not a problem if you know what you're doing.

I don't think you'll find a 2004 WRX for

Reply to
Verbs Under My Gel

Reply to
Jeff Lackey

My info shows a dealer getting an AT for $23,929, including holdback (I sprung for the 12 bucks to get the Consumer Reports pricing guide on the WRX,

)...so you're going to have to readjust fire there somewhere. A new, fully warrantied WRX won't come that cheap, unless the dealership is on death's door.

As far as the best technique to price one, I tried the various online buying services with limited success...I'm between Savannah and Jacksonville, and there's not many Subaru dealers in this area...out in Cali, you might do fine with Autobytel or Carsdirect. I ended up getting a quote from an Atlanta dealer, and parlied it between the Jax and Savannah guys...ended up with an out the door price three thousand under the intial email quote, giving the dealer about $750 on the car, which was fine with me.

Also, remember this is the best time of the year to do your bargaining (if you're quick!)...dealers have to pay tax on any untitled (ie, unsold NEW vehicles) that they have on the lot, as of 31 December).

Steve

Reply to
CompUser

I have a 2002 WRX Automatic. I drive about 30K miles per year and partly for this reason, I went with the automatic. As much as I'd like to believe what the salesman says, it's not true. The manual will be faster than the auto. To be honest, flooring it from a stop light, the WRX is slower than a Corolla coming out of the hole. So I usually just walk it out, and then punch it and then you get nice acceleration. I'm satisfied with the performance. As for manual shifting, I only use 3rd and 4th. Usually 3rd around town which seems to give better throttle response and 4th for long range driving or if i'm going to be over 3000K for awhile.

In that price range, you're probably looking at a used 2002, maybe

2003.

Reply to
JB

You may be missing out big time if you drive stop and go all the time in a wrx. The poor thing doesn't want to sit in traffic.

Don't take his or anyone's word for it. Test drive the automatic as well. Drive the manual again, too, so both will be fresh in your mind. See which one you think is faster. (and then buy the manual)

You can save $800 or so by getting the manual.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan